Buckwheat for soaking

Where do you buy buckwheat for soaking? Is it the buckwheat groats you find in boxes as hot cereal? Or is it a special variety for soaking?

Comments

• Hi,

I doubt that buckwheat in “hot cereal” boxes is raw. I don’t know where you are, but where I live (netherlands) the only place I can find buckwheat – raw or otherwise! – is at a natural/health food shop. They are to be found usually nearby the flour with all the other different types of grains (millet, amaranth, quinoa, etc.). The shop where I get mine has two choices of buckwheat, one cooked and the other raw. Neither of them actually says “raw” but the way to tell is that raw buckwheat kernels look slightly green (not every kernel will be though!), not all the same beige/brown colour. Luckily where I am the bags they come in are transparent – makes it easier (especially since my Dutch is not perfect yet)!

Hope you find some!

• Hi uncook,
    In North America you can usually find 3 types of buckwheat. Black: buckwheat with the outer husk still on it. Use it for growing young tender greens. White (slightly green): outer husk removed. Use it for sprouting a small shoot. Brown: Outer husk removed and then roasted. Sometimes called Kasha. Its roasted and certainly won’t sprout. See sproutpeople.com for good “how to” sprout instructions.

• They can be found in bulk bins at the health food store, they’re somewhat colorful, light greenish, light pinkish beige. I’d soak them then dehydrate to make cereal. Crunchy and yummy!

• Thanks very much, everyone! Ok, so now I know that raw buckwheat groats for soaking look a bit greener than roasted ones, and that they can be found in health food store bulk bins. Gee, maybe I’m squeamish, but I don’t like to buy from bulk bins, because once I bought something from them only to find lots of little bugs in it later.

• No need to worry about bugs. Buckwheat is not a grain that attracts many bugs. In over 20 years of selling and eating buckwheat I have never seen bugs in it. Rice on the other hand is a bug breeding ground. Plus by sprouting buckwheat you will have to rinse it numerous times thus eliminating any dirt and little creatures that may be hiding in it.