Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Smelly hair and what else?

The check out person at Trader Joe’s commented on my grocery cart full of only raw foods and went on to tell me how her hair cutter says people who are eating raw food diets have hair that smells funny. Anyone have that experience or notice whether it’s true to any extend? Detox effect? What other myths might there be out there? It was interesting to see someone go into reaction mode over the raw food diet. I might have expected it at a SAD grocery store, but Trader Joe’s?

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Sounds like they’ve got a problem. That is such a weird thing to say to someone and a bit rude, considering you’re a customer. My experience is that meat-eaters smell bad. Their sweat and breath stinks. I remember when my father went to Japan almost 40 years ago and the Japanese telling him that Westerners’ breath and sweat stank because of what they ate.

The Almight Joseph Mercola likes to tell people that vegans stink of “rotting flesh”, too, mostly I guess because he likes to gorge on raw lamb himself.

Sorry, but I believe in treating customers with the utmost respect and that person at Trader Joe’s, friend or not, was rude, not to mention full of crap. The only things that make hair stink are dirt and nasty commercial hair products.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i’ve never experienced or heard about that. in fact, my hair smells pretty darn good.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Yeah thats a pretty obnoxious thing to say to someone. I smell way less on raw. I barely even need the mineral rock under my armpits these days.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I cant remember the last time I used deodarant. That is just ridiculous! The more raw you are, the less toxic. The less toxic the less you stink! :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Body odor increases during detox the first few weeks of raw, but yeah, I think I smell much better these days. I actually notice a greasy, unpleasant odor coming from SAD eaters, but always thought it might be in my head (because of knowing what they eat).

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Most people in this world have a dulled sense of smell from all the chemicals and unhealthy things they eat. I mean, notice how when you are raw how you can’t handle chemcial smells as well as you used too. People who are SAD and using all that chemical stuff on themselves and in their homes think that stuff smells great apparently (walk by anyone who drenches themselves in commerical perfumes and colognes and you will understand).

I think people aren’t used to a completely healthy natural smell that comes from a clean body – they are used to masking their smells with chemicals. So, they figure if this person doesn’t smell like Obsession cologne or the cheapie chemical laundry detergent, they are gross smelling.

I really believe that all those chemical products and altered food really change a person senses including their sense of smell.
    Don’t take it seriously. You have a better sense of them than any of them do.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Everything that comes out of your body smells better when you’re raw (except for awhile during detox.) In my personal experience, raw liberates you from being smelly..

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

They’re trippin billies. I have been all raw for 10 days, and now everyone freakin’ stinks! I live with my brother, who doesn’t believe in fruits and veggies (lol) and he smells like ass. And yesterday, I went to Walmart and the store smelled like a mix of cigarettes, B.O., and goodness knows what else. Grosss