sprouting

I’m confused about sprouting. I’m new to this style of eating so would like any advice you have on: 1) a really good sprout book 2) is sprouting the same as soaking 3) for grains especially, do you soak just to get soft or are you to wait for a tail to start growing 4)do you leave in water to sprout or use one of those sprouters 5) When a recipe just says sprouted rice, wheat ect. How long do you sprout for.

Thanks for any answers that any of you may have.

Wendy

Comments

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I felt the same way about sprouting. I am not an expert. I have sprouting charts but there was someone that posted some information on sprouting and I don’t remember where that may be. One thing I can tell you is sprouting is soaking for the first few hours or day depending on how long the sprouting chart suggest, your suppose to change the water 2 to 3 times as well. You then drain the water and let it sprout for a day or a few days depending on the chart. You are suppose to wash it three or more times a day.

I work an hour away from my job. I do not have time to wash the nuts or seeds I am trying to sprout so it gets washed twice a day. I also will not bring the sprouts with me because I will have to lug a gallon of water with me because I don’t use tap water to sprout my food or even to add to my food. I always use bottled water. There are certain nuts that takes a long time to sprout and usually by that time the nuts could be rancid so nuts such as macadamians most likely You won’t see grow a tail.

Books that have sprout charts are Rawsome by Brigitte Mars, Alissa Cohen Living on live food, The Sprouting Book: How to Grow and Use Sprouts to Maximize Your Health and Vitality by Ann Wigmore, and Sprout Garden – Revised Edition by Mark Mathew Braunstein.

Good Luck

• Thanks Joesc, that info helps. I’ll have to order one of those books.