Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bananas: Friend or Foe?

2»

Comments

• Then I think bannanasare fine. I probably won’t be eating as many as some but feel that you really,really need to listen to your own body.sleep well,eat well!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Moderation, to me now as I am willing to eat just what is best for my body, means that I eat what my body wants, and that changes based on the circumstances I am in and the foods available to me. The thought of green smoothies grosses me out, but they are like heaven to some other people. Some people have to have or avoid certain combinations and others can do whatever they want. The more raw food I eat, and the longer I consistently eat raw, the more I am able to be aware of what my body needs.

• again,we all need to really listen. I drank my first green soothie since it was warmer out today,happy I had it but it made me cold,exactly why I stopped.I really Love green smoothies and had atleast 2 per day before the winter but now with the colder weather,not so sure.

Just thought I would say… whatever makes you feel good is probably good. and.. i prefer the warmer weather,ha!

• I have that same problem with cold smoothies mham. The other morning almost every ingredient i put in was cold (including some kale i frozen, which i have no idea whether is safe or not but it was only in there 2 dyas or so) after i finished it i was freezing! I was get a little cold after eating (mianly when i go out to eat i think its because they serve ice water that i drink while eating which i dont do at home) Anyway when its cooler out i try to make my smoothie without frozen fruits and thats seems to help some.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Hey I just wanted to make something clear: I wasn’t judging ANYONE for eating lots of bananas. Shady Lady asked a question and I answered. I don’t necessarily think bananas are evil, though I don’t think they’re all that nutritious. But whatever, I still eat them and medjool dates as well for that matter. I really only do what makes me feel good and everyone else should as well. I feel sick when I eat kale and collards straight, the bitterness makes my stomach turn. But a lot of people love it and there’s no doubt it’s good for them!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

Bananas are not evil, but I try to limit their consumption because I eat a low glycemic raw diet, for the reason that I am a student stuck at a desk for the majority of the day, and I can’t have my blood sugar going crazy. I believe the raw diet should be adjusted to your lifestyle. Since bananas are so high in sugar, you would have to be really really active (as our possibly fruitarian ancestors would be) in order to burn it off and not have it cause problems for you.
    Also, stay away from unripe bananas! (Unless you have diarrhea, as they are given to patients with this due to their incredibly constipating nature).

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I feel best about bananas when I am very physically active. After a day of running I especially like them and they have become quite the comfort food for me.

• I’m a little paranoid about the sugar in bananas as well, but it’s natural sugar….Mother Nature’s little energy boost!
    If you want an alternative to use in smoothies, try substituting pears.
    I’m extremely active, but I still only eat about 1-2 a day. I love ‘em, though!

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I haven’t done any research. But I know bananas and coconuts grow freely in tropical climates. Do I eat a lot of bananas? No, just because I am busy eating other raw stuff.

A plus I would think is that it is economical. You wouldn’t have to worry about pesticides. And it has potassium and good stuff. God’s fruit is all good.

• Bananas don’t need their seeds to propagate. That can be done by its underground stem called a rhizome. Today’s bananas are reduced to just a few varietes by propagation of the rhizome through tissue cultures. Highly selected? Yes. Did bananas have viable seeds in bygone days? God knows. Think of other fruits that don’t need seeds to propagate like the grape (vine), kiwi (vine), raspberries and strawberries (root stems). So many other seedless fruits have been tinkered with also. Can we really single out just the lowly green banana?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I think it’s interesting – this topic has made me realize again that we are all sooooo different. We are all talking about a raw food diet, and yet there are tons of different “diets” within even this one way of eating. What I love is that we all can share our experiences and learn from each other, and yet each person is able to find his/her own solutions. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, knowledge & opinions; my life is better because of it.

• Roadrunner, you look tall and fit. I think organic bananas taste superior and are less sugary than their conventional counterparts. Also, the mini bananas are even less sugary with a unique taste. I also find that freezing bananas changes the taste, so fresh is always best. Regarding eating close to 40 bananas a day, I would have to say that if you feel great, then obviously it is working for you. Just remember to consume enough water and high-H2O content fruits and veggies and greens. Bananas are very starchy and delicious and energising, yet too many can actually constipate a person and does not contain much water.

• I think its best to limit fruits high in the glycemic index. Bananas are economical but there are better choices out there .

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

Dehydrated bananas are so sweet and chewy. They are great when craving sweets and don’t have enough money for dates or other sweet things.