Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouting???

I’ve read a few things today. Some say sprouting isnt healthy or not necessary. Others say its the best. I wanted to start sprouting different things like buckwheat and wheat berries and alfalfa. So is it good or no? I’m really confused about the whole sprouting thing. Any input would be great? Thanx!

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Everything I’ve ever read is that it potentiates the nutritional value, turning normal food into superfood. Plus sprouting is cheap and allows you to become a kitchen gardner. Check out sproutpeople.com. Buckwheat is my favorite one – I use it as a base for many cookies and I use it to cut down on nuts or seeds in some recipes.

• Thanks Carmentina! I was looking to see if anyone started a topic on sprouting (which I would have if not) because I’ve had trouble with it and that website sproutpeople.com seems like it will be very helpful.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

so, do black beans sprout?

• I always hear that sprouting is the best and the “super food”line has been used on a few occasions. As far as black beans sprouting. I have never tried but you try. Just soak them over night and drain and rinse. I put my sprouts in a mason jar and use a little plastic window mesh in the lid. Turn the jar at an angle(I use a dish drainer) and let breath till the next day. Just rinse and turn upside down. See if they grow a tail. Happy sprouting!!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Astara, I really love that painting? you have as your photo.
    I have sprouted lentils, buckwheat, rye, quinoa, chickpeas, and wheatberries before. lol, I had to go and list them all eh. So I’m pretty confident with sprouting now and I LOVE IT.
    I did buy some black beans and soaked them. They are laying out now to sprout… its day two and no tails yet.. but I know it took three days for the lentils…
    I’m going to give it another two days before I toss them.

• AliciaD!

Sprouting is really the HEALTHIEST thing I can imagine!!! Sprouts are full of enzymes, vitamins and minerals. It increases the nutrients of seeds lol, their vitamin C can be 27 times more, carotin content 200 more, vit B 50 and vitamin E 120 times more than in the dry seed.
    Actually I took these percentages from a Hungarian site.(Sorry guys that you could’t read that)

• Actually I’m also wondering if black beans sprout, cos I’ve seen them in the shop and I didn’t buy them cos I did’t know whether they sprout…Write if you know pleeease:)

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

aha! Sprout people says that Black beans ARE sproutable, but they are hard to sprout! They give any batch a miserable 50% chance of sprouting! And it can take up to 6 days! WOW! Well, unless they taste AMAZING, this will probably be the last time I sprout them, lol.
    But I’ll definitely post if I manage to get them sprouted

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

aha! lol, my black beans are sprouting! I see the tails!.. From what I’m observing, the black “shell” around it is really strong and I guess its tough for it to break through. They end up splitting to allow the tail out.
    Awesome, all it takes is some love.

• Thank you everyone for all the great info!!!

• sprouting is very good for you especially when you eat them right when the sprout has come through. this is when the bean has the most nutrients. Weird, but true. :)

Here’s a video I saw on youtube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=J4n5p1rmTiw

Mary