Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Calcium and Probiotics

What is a good protein powder source that will also give a good helping of calcium and probiotics?

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

i buy raw seasame seeds in bulk (cheap) to grind for fruit smoothies or sprinkle on salads as a very good protein and calcium source .
    also almonds are a good source of both calcium and protein .
    and one could make fermented vegis for a probiotic source . i’ll bring back a good link on it in case anyones interested .

• I like using flaxseed It goes on everything I eat.

• I don’t do this now and I am not suggesting you do either ,just wanted to say I really miss drinking kefir!.I gave it up a couple of years ago because of it being dairy. I did for a short time make coconut water kefir and really think I should start again.Bodyecology diet.

For me I eat a lot of fermented veggies and kombucha for the probiotics but I guess that doesn’t answer your question on protein.

heres a link to fermenting vegis =

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/08/... .

• Thanks michigan man for the link. I really am a bit worried about bacteria to make my own veggies. I get mine from my local organic grocer. One day maybe i will attempt. Have youmade yor own? Oh,I really like the sunny raw kitchen site!

did i try fermenting vegis ? heck no , i was hoping i could get you and chelsea to try it and if it didnt kill you guys then ide give it a go ; )

but seriously ive not tried them yet .

ya carms sunny raw kitchens great , all the recipes and links make it a treasure chest .

• I agree,fermenting is a tricky thing. If anyone has done it and was successfful.please help me/us. Until then I will buy mine from Penn. I have eaten it now for 3 years,everyday.

heres link to the body ecology diet , great info . she simplifies fermenting . link =

http://bodyecology.com/cveggies.php ...

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

this may be a dumb question but can you buy probiotics? I have a recipe that calls for it..

• Whole Foods sells probiotics in both pill and liquid form. I’ve never tried them before and don’t know how raw they are.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

do you suppose you just open up the pill and use the powder in a recipe?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

mham, You can always break open a capsule of probiotics onto the veggies you’re fermenting if you’re worried about what kind of bacteria you’re growing.

kminty3, I think that would work just fine. I made this cheese recipe and it turned out well.