Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Insane sweet tooth

I have a sweet problem. I’m in college and I just don’t have time to get on my bicycle and ride through the snow to buy sweet things. But I crave sweet things so badly! If I actually attempted to fulfill it, I’d be drinking my maple syrup. I don’t understand what is wrong with me. I scarf down dried fruit, fresh fruit, dates, anything with sugar, and it’s never enough. It’s driving me crazy lingering in my little kitchen area wishing there was something sweet, like a dessert, to eat. Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• I used to. Until I started eating cacao and it slowly went away. Now I can only have a little sweets at a time.. I used to go through every cabinets looking for something sugary! Thank Goodness for Cacao!

• I had a huge sweets problem years ago,I fixed it,not raw but by adding more vegetables to my diet. I ate salads but mixed them with steamed veggies. I think if you simplify what you are eating it helps.I don’t know your diet but I sometimes lightly steam(sometimes bake,iknow)sweet potatoes.
    Now when i have a “sweet” moment usually after a meal I take a date,open it up remove,pit and fill with wahat steamboatkatiesaid “cacao” and I add sunflowers seeds.

I also think,not sure how cold it is where you are but I think the colder weather def. changes what we crave.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I JUST had an insane sweet tooth and overcame it before I went on the computer just now!!! I ate two apples and was going to scarf down three GIANT handfulls of red grapes, until I stopped and decided to blend some of it wih spinach because I ate nothing else but apples today and I knew that I needed greens. So I blended a good load of spinach with the grapes, added some water, some ground flaxseeds because I felt like it, and drank up. I felt SOOOO MUCH BETTER afterwards. But I still had that one last apple. lol. Can’t get enough apples. They’re my comfort food.

But anyway, according to other forums, EAT YOUR GREENS, OR GREEN SMOOTHIES!!!!! THEY WORK, I JUST TRIED IT! good luck.

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I really have an insane sweet tooth. I’m trying really hard to stop all the sweets I’ve been having. any tips on how to stop the cravings???

• Just a little note; craving sugar can be a sign of diabetes.. But you probably just have a sweet tooth. Might be an idea to get checked out though if it continues!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I agree with adding more greens to your diet. I can’t do the green smoothies, so I just do salads..
    You really have to make yourself do it at first, then it gets easier.
    I usually don’t crave the sugar anymore, but if I happen to taste a bit, I want more!!
    You could also try adding sprouted grains and such.

• You might want to try a colon cleanse to rid your body of the things internaly that crave sugars.A healthy sweet snack would be raw cacoa mixed with agave y goji berries and nuts.Just a thought .I also agree that greens in the smoothie also sprouts added and some good coconut oil and you should be very full.

• I have the same issue. My weakness is Prunes or Dates dipped in Tahini. Once I get started I can’t stop and I start pacing the kitchen like a ravenous mad-woman. I’ve tried the Greens thing but it just doesn’t seem to work.

I need to figure it out before I have another bout with cavities : (

• eww dates dipped in tahini…is your tahini sweet? mine is very bitter more of a savory thing. I love it as dressing (mixed with some other ingredients) for salads.

• Yes very bitter. But it is kind of reminiscent of Peanut Butter and Jelly. I really dig it. It goes so well with the super sweetness of the dates.

• It could just be that you’re lacking energy. You mention in your profile that you enjoy running cross-country. If you do this regularly, it could be that you’re expending more energy than you’re taking in. The body sometimes craves sweet things when it is low on fuel (sugar = instant energy). My advice would be to look over your diet, and check you’re getting enough to eat on a day-to-day basis … esp. nuts, avos etc.

• Wow, everyone’s advice here is great. I’m going to try and take in more greens and green smoothies. I don’t think I’m really lacking energy because I also eat a lot of nuts and nut butters and avocados. But yesterday I tried making cacao pudding and it was very satisfying. That was great advice, once again! And samilicious, apples are my favorite comfort food too, and bananas too. I live where it’s pretty cold and snows, and I grew up in Napa, CA, where it DOESN’T snow, so I am adjusting to the weather. I figured I was craving calories. I just didn’t know why sugar. Should try coconut butter.