Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sprouting lentils...

KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I’m soaking my lentils and the skins are kinda flaking off a little. Is this okay? Will it interfere with the sprouting?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Not at all! Just let them soak 8-12 hours then rinse and let them sprout! Lentils are the easiest to sprout and I love them because after a few days, they REALLY grow. So, you are basically growing food and also saving money. Also remember that a sprouted seed has 500% more nutritional value than a non sprouted seed.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! I’m excited to see how they turn out. I plan on making a salad once they’re done with some sprouted quinoa, bell peppers, and whatever else looks good.

• While we’re on the topic of sprouting/soaking – is it possible to “over soak” or even “over sporut” things?

I ask because I just finished making a batch of this linseed/buckwheat groat/carrot bread. I had the linseeds (flax) soaking, and the groats sprouting for about 8 hours, but because I din’t have a spare sheet for the dehydrator I kept them soaking overnight until the next day.

Alltogether they soaked/sprouted for about 2 days. I put it in the dehydrator last night and this morning the house smelt awful!! Just like vomit! The bread didn’t taste that great either – not as bad as the smell, but definitly not what it usually tastes like.

Is it because I soaked or sprouted too long? I must admit that the linseeds were awfully gluggy by the time I used them…

• Yes winsome, you can oversoak something! The linseeds are a very hard case to me, because I have never managed sprouting them. For the buckwheat I usually Don’t soak them( just rinse them a few times a day) or just soak for half an hour. They are very easy to sprout.

• This may be a REALLY stupid question: But I’ve been trying to sprout and I think I just figured out the problem. If I buy the beans, seeds, in a bag at a regular grocery store – are they not raw (which I now understand to mean not processed in any fashion). Do I need to get the beans from a bulk type of store? I tried sprouting lentils and it was not good.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You’re speaking of dry beans in a bag, right? I’m finding that at my store, some things in the bulk bins tend to be not popular with the local folk and are quite old. The dark lentils never sell much and when I try to sprout them, their growth is feeble and poorish. Also, I’ve gotten a bit sick twice, so I tossed them. On the other hand, some lentils from the SproutPeople(I think it was theirs) were awesome. Seeds, well, what seeds do you mean?

• Yes, I’m talking about dry beans in the bag. I really haven’t tried seeds yet – still trying to get the beans down. The only bean that I’ve successfully sprouted would be mung and someone gave me those. I’m about to give up on the sprouting thing. Not too sure what to sprout or soak. I need to read more about it – that’s all and I haven’t really taken the time to do so.