Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Really Raw Almond Butter?

Hey I bought a jar of truly raw almond butter @ $34.00 a jar OUCH! does anyone know if the so called raw almond butters say at Trader Joes are truly raw? $6.00 a jar would be much easier to swallow. Any info would be appreciated! Peace

Comments

• I also buy the Trader JOe raw version, but I think I have read somewhere that the method they use to grind it heats them up too much. I wonder if something is up, because I went to Trader Joe’s last night to stock up and I could only find one jar buried way in the back. I could also only find 1 jar of Tree of Life raw almond butter at another health food store that same day. There is a website called Livingnutz that sells raw versions that may be cheaper than $34.

• Wow, $34?? I’ve never seen almond butter sell for that price! What brand is that?? (Just curious) I typically buy mine from Trader Joe’s as well. I do have to agree that I’m not sure how raw TJ’s version really is. When they first started selling the raw almond butter again (after a hiatus of about several months), the label said “raw roasted almonds”. So of course I did not buy it. I noticed TJ’s took it off the shelf for a little while again and when it returned, their label said raw almonds. I figure, it doesn’t say “roasted” so I’m just going to trust that it’s raw.

I don’t use a lot of almond butter anyway, so if it truly is not raw then I’m not going to worry a whole lot about it. :) My personal goal with my diet is to be “high raw” anyway. So this works fine for me and my family.

I’m not sure what it’s like where you live, but here in AZ, Living Tree Community’s raw almond butter sells for about $19 at Whole Foods. You might want to try their brand for a cheaper price. I know theirs is raw and organic. Here’s a link to their site if you’re interested http://www.livingtreecommunity.com

HTH!!!

• The brand is Rejuvenative. Thanks for the link to livingtree as I live out in the country 100s of miles from a Whole Foods store.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Thanks a lot Jocelynaz. I was looking for a site for nuts and butters. Great!! I do not believe in TJ’s butter.

• Dear Loving of Really Raw Almond Butter, go to: almondie.com and read all about it! it's a real delicious treat! A real delight!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

All American almonds are supposed to be pasteurized (or treated with gas) before being sold or used in food products, so most almond butter won't be raw. In addition, the heat while grinding can go above the "raw" temperature. Specialty companies like Rejuvenative are likely to use really raw almonds and lower grinding temperatures.

Living Tree Community does used pasteurized almonds in their butter. They talk about this on their website.