Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Conventionally Raw vs. Cooked Organic

As a general matter, if given two options which are mutually exclusive in a product, which would you choose, and why? (Obviously, this assumes you are not 100% raw.)

For e.g., last weekend, I was presented with the option of purchasing either raw almond butter, or organic almond butter, but organic AND raw version was not an option.

Comments

• I guess now that the almonds are no longer raw anyway for that food decision I would pick organic as long as it was not roasted.

• I’m one of the greatest fans of organic really, but in this case I would choose the conventionally raw version, because it has all the enzymes and vitamins and it is ALIVE! However I would try to make my own whenever possible, It’s really simple and you can control what’s in it, if you can make it from raw, organic almonds.

• Thanks mham & flybaby! But to clarify, I was more interested in responses and perspective as a general concept, and not specific to almond butter.

• Ok then ,I think it depends on what the food is. For instance when I am getting fruits and veg. there are certain ones I will absolutly NOT eat if they are not organic such as peppers,berries,pears,peaches and greens think thin skinned. Where as I will eat if I cannot find organic things such as avacados , bannanas etc.

I go through fazes when I am eating raw I tend to eat ALL raw for days at a time,then when I am having a day off its one meal and that meal is usually not raw but vegan ,I will add a cooked veg at times too.

Now to really try to answer your question :). I have added some cheese to my diet,well not really added but have not completly given it up(even though I know it a mucus forming mess to my body)
    I have eaten non raw cheese but when I do I prefer it to be organic cheese. I have eaten raw cheese both organic and also not organic.
    I guess my point is it depends on the food,it depends how raw and how you eat in general.I think it is probably much better to consume many things organic and raw.
    maybe you could give us a few more examples of foods you are thinking of.
    Hope I have helped even just a bit????

• conventional raw. i buy organic produce whenever possible, but sometimes the thing i want just isn’t available organic. i also shop at the farmer’s market, and most produce there isn’t labeled organic, but is probably not sprayed with pesticide either.

i am still shooting for 90-95% raw though. cooked food is for special occasions, for me.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Conventional raw! Eating the cooked foods would put me right back to where I was, no question.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I think I’m with alix. Besides, cooked organic cooks (most of) the nutrients away… and at least you’ll get something with the raw.

However, I don’t know what I’d choose if it is raw and genetically engineered.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I would have to agree with Mham. I am a big supporter of organic and just like Mham stated there are just some things that I refuse to consume if they aren’t organic and would definitely choose a cooked version. But in most cases if I can’t find something organic and I want it really bad I just find something else to buy, or I’ll just settle and peel the skin off.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Raw.

• It’s unanimous so far … Interesting responses!

Mham in thinking about your question, I guess the situation arises mostly involving dried fruits, nuts and some snack bars (which are made of dried fruits & nuts) which are either raw or organic, but often not both. Also applies to honey, olive and other oils, and some grains.

Relatedly, I have wondered whether, when consuming conventionally grown foods (anything from grains to produce), cooking them would lessen the harmful impact of the pesticides.

No, cooking will not lessen the harm of the pesticides, unfortunately.

well, some might be broken down somewhat with heat. It depends on the chemical involved and the heat.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

they fertilise using human sewage on ALL non organic foods. I just found this out, and now I will be seriously upping my organic intake coz that really grosses me out – ugh!
    To think my gorgeous food is grown out of everyone else’s anti biotic/prescription drug/ meat/dairy laced shit, I just can’t stand it!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i think we need to stop calling sprayed foods “conventional.” but that aside,

sproutness- i would go for the cooked. i don’t see much benefit in having the extra enzymes if it means ingesting poisons. i’ve heard nutrients actually don’t get messed with with light cooking, only enzymes.

if it were a nut butter i’d say NEITHER. fats are too hard to digest when not raw, and same argument for why i’d want them to be organic.

Vitamins, especially water-soluble, are affected by cooking. Fats and proteins are affected by cooking.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Apparently all farming which is not organic uses human sewage, it isn’t a secret, it’s common practice. I heard Juliano talking about it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOWVGuasgQI