Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Butternut Squash

I have a butternut squash and not sure how to use it! Any ideas out there?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’d love to see the reply, cuz that’s one of those veggies I just can’t get myself to like, especially RAW.

• Glad I am not the only one!!

• Ooh I love butternut squash.
    What I do is take about half the squash, cube it, and throw it in the blender with 1 apple, some raw honey (not vegan, but you could use another sweetener), a little water, and cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (essentially pumpkin pie spice). Then I blend the heck out of it, pour it into a bowl, and add some lightly ground flax seed. Oh man, I want some now…

• Great idea :D thanks!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I don’t know if you would like this, but I take my butternut squash and make a sweet curried soup of it. Chop the squash well, and process it with any blend of curry powder you like, add a bit of coconut meat or soaked chips or even a bit of oil. You can add some kick to it like a pinch of cayenne peppper. I like mine to be kinda sweet and heavy and lucious. Just keep processing or blending until it’s creamy.

• A yummy idea! Thanks! I will be giving it a go!

• Those are great ideas! Now, I’ll know what to do with a butternut =)

• Do you have to peel the butternut 1st or just include the skin?

Just me, I peel it. Or cut it off, actually. But I’d be interested to know if anyone eats theirs.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I had one recently, for days. One squash goes a long way. I cut the peel off too, tough job. I cut in small cubes and blended it with seasoning and used it as pasta sauce, soup, added it to almond pulp and other veggies and dehydrated it for patties. It does taste buttery.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

besides soup and sauces, just tried making rice out it and loved the sweet, only slightly crunchy result.

you cube and peel it and pulse it in the food processor until it becomes small like rice granules.
    remove and place in a bowl.
    pulse 1/2 onion with some parsley, celery, whatever you like.
    salt, pepper, herbs, spices (i made mine “moroccan” so i used cinnamon, cloves, and cumin)
    mix and let sit for a few hours (if you can wait)

left-overs make GREAT veggie patties (as 123 said) if mixed with a seed or nut paste and some more veggies (love carrot pulp).

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

you can use it to make a variation of this sweet potato parfait: http://goneraw.com/recipes/2451-Sweet-Potato-Pa…

Haha, you guys helped me make my shopping list today. I just added a butternut squash to it:-)

• :D Glad my post helped more than just me!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Hah! Great topic because I LOVED roasted butternut squash. I am bookmarking this topic for when the juicefeast is over.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

For Thanksgiving last year I made an Ani Phyo recipe where you grind it up in the food processor with raw walnuts and mix that up with chopped cilantro and dried fruit and some cumin. Once it’s ground up, as pianissima suggests, you could add anything, but cilantro is my favorite. The non-raw people were shocked to hear what it was after they ate and loved it- “raw squash?????”

• Ha! I just bought one today! Great ideas here everyone. I saw a recipe that I was going to do. Just slice, marinate in nama shoyu (or whatever) and dehydrate until crispy like chips. I miss the crunch of popcorn, so I’m going to give this a whirl.

• Here’s a recipe for Butternut Squash Salad: http://teaandcookies.blogspot.com/2007/03/myste…

Butternut Squash Cookies: http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes.htm

and one for Pesto Stuffed Butternut Squash with White Sauce: http://www.thedailyrawcafe.com/2007/10/pesto-st…

Yum!

• Nice recipes! thanks!