Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Budget dehydrator?

Well, i can see from my research on dehydrators that the excalibur does the job very nicely, but the price is not quite as nice! have seen the round shaped dehydrators on ebay which are much cheaper, but would they be suitable for raw breads? Any sujestions in regards to a cheaper dehydrator?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I have a really low budget dehydrator – I use my radiator! I just put a plate on it that has whatever I want to dehydrate. Is the temperature right? It’s not much higher than it ought to be. Eventually I will get a “real” one, but in the meantime…

• i have a nesco american harvest that cost me $60. sometimes drying times need to be adjusted (my macaroons took 3 days instead of 1 but my bbq “chicken fingers” took half the time they should have and now are chicken crumbles!), but you get used to it and it was a good value for the money.

• If you look on here at the recipe for smells-like-sun-bread drhall provides a way to make one yourself on the cheap. maybe you could do that until you save up for a better one. also, ebay has a bunch of different kinds and they had some that were much cheaper than excaliber. don’t bother bidding though until the last minute, or just get it from buy-it-now.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m happy with my 9 tray dehydrator from excalibur. I’d say it’s worth saving up, if you plan to use it alot – sundried tomatoes, fruit strips, crackers, etc. I use it once a week, but I can do a full load – so that i only have to deal with the dehydrator once! also, all foods cook perfectly.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

^ Yeah, there’s really no substitute for the excalibur.

• I often see dehydrators at thrift stores. (That’s where I got mine.) Not an Excalibur, but better than nothing. I’ve also read about people using the warm setting on their oven with the door cracked open. You’d have to check the temperature, but it could be a short-term option.