Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Shellshocked

jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

So… my dad went in for exploratory surgery yesterday to check out a couple dark spots in his lungs. And he has cancer. In both lungs. I’m reeling. They caught it super early, and by tomorrow we should have more information from pathology and start looking at treatment options…

But holy crap! This is my daddy! I had a full-on, crying, jumping up and down, cussing a blue streak, punching pillows tantrum yesterday. This is freaking me out.

Ahem… the emotional outbursts keep breaking in, but mostly I’m ok today. What I want to concentrate on is the way forward, to be in the solution instead of wallowing in the problem. My mom has been dabbling in the raw lifestyle with me for about a year now, and this has firmed both our resolves to keep up with it. And to get my dad on the raw path when he’s out of the hospital.

I’m just completely floored right now. What keeps getting to me is how this is making me feel like such a lost little kid… I guess being a wise and mature late-thirty-something doesn’t help much, heh.

Jen

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

We’re here for you, jenergy, hugs OOXX

• Jenergy, look up the story of the cancer nurse ‘Rene Caisse’ and read about Essiac tea. It is an anti cancer herbal tea Which is very good. It is worth a try. There is too much stuff to tell you about here, but read about it. I will include you, your family and your dad in my daily prayers. Keep us posted. God bless.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Checkout Kris Carr’s crazysexycancer.blogspot.com too. She and her fellow bloggers are truly inspirational. I’m thinking good stuff you, your dad and the rest of your family. And everyone needs to have a hissy fit once in a while!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I’m a firm believer in the therapeutic value of the occasional hissy fit. ;o) A good, yelling, crying, pillow-punching tantrum in the appropriate setting (I left work early yesterday and went home, so I had time before I had to pick my son up from after-school daycare) is actually really healthy. I guess… I mean, I’m not a psychotherapist or anything, but it makes sense to me that all that negative energy is better out than in, you know? As long as I’m not hurting myself or anyone else, I give myself permission to lose it when I need to. Plus, it helps me keep it together when I need to (at work, with my son, in public in general ;o) knowing that I’ve got that emotional outlet if I need it.

Thanks again for the support and ideas, everyone. I’m going to San Francisco on Friday (dad’s at the VA hospital) with my mom and sister to visit… so right now I’m struggling with my impatience because I want to go RIGHT NOW. Heh… So I’m telling myself things like, “One step at a time,” and “Breathe.”

Love to all. :o)

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

all my best to you and your dad!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Jen, so sorry to hear this. I know that I don’t have much so say – in way of what to do, where to go, etc. I just wanted you to know that I’m sending you positive thoughts and will offer as much moral support as I can. You will all get through this and be stronger for it. You and your family are in my thoughts.

• Hey Jen,

My father was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2003—the kind of blood cancer that is not treatable. He lived 2.5 years after the diagnosis. I tried help him with raw, but he was not really into it. Anyway, I know how you feel. My brother and I went to the cancer clinic with him where the oncologist laid out treatment. In the last 8 months he went downhill quickly.

I don’t know anything about lung cancer, but I remember reading in a book i have called wheatgrass, nature’s finest medicine, many testimonials where cancer was cured with wheatgrass. If I remember correctly, some people exclusively had wheatgrass and nothing else for days, but then the cancer was gone. There are many resources for cancer treatment naturally. But diet is not the only thing. If he wants to beat the cancer, your father has to be healthy spiritually and emotionally. I know sometimes the ‘old fashioned’ type men have a hard time with this. I am convinced that my father’s cancer was related in part to a life of stuffing emotions and stress.

Also a documentary called “crazy sexy cancer” by a very young woman with cancer and how she beat it with diet and positiveness.

Good luck. You will be okay. You CAN do something.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

sorry to hear. heres a link to a great thread at another rawfood forum discusing natural methods to elimimate cancerous cells in a lung cancer case , besides the opinions of many people studied in natural healing methods / nutrition / etc it also has tens of excellent links to cancer healers and their philosophys all over earth . link =

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=106... ...
  • These supplements saved my mother’s life from asthma and other’s people’s cancers. The Garden of Life ones are green food supplements (much more powerful than spirulina or any other natural green food) They are made from probiotic cultures which clean the colon out and do wonders for everybody. If you at all find these useful, your father should take as many as possible to quickly clean him out. If he continues to eat cooked food, they are not quite as useful as they would be. So encourage him to eat raw. (btw, Hollywood actors take Primal Defense):

Garden of Life Primal Defense (my mother’s and my favorite)

Garden of Life Perfect Food

Enzymatic Therapy Mega-Zyme (the original, they have a few different varieties of Mega-Zyme)

Wild Klamath Blue Green Algae Enzyme Enhanced (my other favorite)

I hope you try these supplements with him, it’s well worth the money and they will help yoiur father alot. :)

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I don’t have much to offer in the way of experience, Jenergy, but know that my love is being sent to you and your family. I have heard that Essiac Tea is a commong “natural cure” for cancer, though I am not sure if that is any cancer or only specific types.

Love and hugs- Sunny

• I’m so sorry Jen.

I highly recommend a new documentary out called “Healing Cancer From Inide Out” for your father (and everyone!). By the same man who did “Eating.”

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Cancer-Inside-Mik…

It will not only inspire, but give you both the reassurance and knowledge that it CAN be beat and raw foods is a huge part of that path.

-sending loving thoughts

Thanks, you guys. All the support and suggestions really help me to not feel so overwhelmed. I had a feeling I’d get that here. :o)

• I don’t have much in the way of advice either, but I also am sending as much positive energy as I can your way.

• Lots of love to you and your dad!!!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

jenergy – Here’s some good news – my uncle who is in his 70’s was diagnosed with lung cancer last year (he was a smoker). He had already survived an aggressive skin cancer and was in remission. But after surgery he’s recovering well and the prognosis looks good. He’s had a tough road but he came through ok. I don’t blame you for the jumping up and down and screaming, keep it up if you need to and know that you have support here.

• Lots of warm fuzzy thoughts to you and your family!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Get Fresh magazine had an article of a woman who was vegetarian 25 year, vegan 15 years, never popped any kind of medicine/aspirin… lived what seemed to be quite a healthy life… and she had cancer and was told had 6 months to live. She started doing all sorts of things, like seeing a naturopath, exercising daily, drinking wheatgrass, then later going raw. She has an amazing story. Oh, btw, Get Fresh (UK magazine) is now sold in Whole Food stores (at least that’s what www.welikeitraw.com ‘says’)

Blessings to you and yours.

• just my quiet thoughts to you and your family.You have support here .

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey Jenergy, hows your Pop?

• yes, how’s your Pop?

Hey! Sorry, didn’t see this when it was “bumped.”

Well, we still don’t have anything resembling information – like what exact kind of cancer it is, I guess, and some kind of treatment plan… but he’s home. Yay! My mom & sister and I drove to S.F. last Friday to visit and they released him (because he could go to the bathroom by himself, haha, that’s their criteria I guess). He’s just been gimping around and taking percocets every 4 hours and doing the things you do when you’re recovering from surgery. My mom has gotten him to drink green smoothies, which is a MAJOR accomplishment! She’s pestering him to distraction with all her health suggestions…

Mom and I actually had a conversation about that this morning. She called me, all frustrated because she knows that going raw would be the best thing for him, and he’s starting to feel better and wants his white bread and red meat and beer. I encouraged her to just be loving in her approach and not too preachy, because he’ll just get mad and not hear what she’s really trying to say, which is basically “I love you and want to keep you around, stupid!” Ha.

Baby steps, I told her. The green smoothie thing is a GREAT start. And she can buy whole grain white bread, and lean meat. But basically that them clashing over what he eats during all this is the last thing either of them needs. He can’t heal if he’s stressed out, and she can’t stay strong and healthy if she’s stressed out, and if he really IS going to get sick with this cancer (a thought my brain simply won’t allow in at this point) then they need to spend every minute they have together in love.

Something like that, anyway. She said I’m a good daughter. So that felt good.

Thanks for asking! That means a lot to me. :o)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

What a loving family you have. I’m so glad for all of you that he’s home.