Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

ever dehydrated honey?

have you ever dehydrated honey? any tips? it’s the only sweetener besides stevia i can tolerate, and would love it in dry form, but i can only find it with maltodextrin added. if you have a resource for freeze dried raw honey with nothing added that could also be superb. thanks!

ClaireT

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

That’s really interesting… I wonder if you could make sugar that way. I don’t use honey but often think I should give dehydrating date syrup a go.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ummm, why do you want to dehydrate raw honey? It’s anti-bacterial… it shouldn’t go bad.

What do you need freeze dried honey for… what will you use dehydrated honey for?

• Maybe you can make it into a honey powder :)

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

the reason i want dried is for certain recipes that are liquid sensitive, and also for some hiking/backpacking drink mixes i’m working on.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Why don’t you give it a try and let us know your result? I’m really curious.

Matt_Raw
  • I was able to find dried honey powder for sale, so I don’t see why not. Sounds like something good to have on hand.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I haven’t tried backpacking on a raw diet… we’ve been wondering how one would do that. But, I imagine a lot of dehydrated stuff… since lighter is better and water is heavy. Good luck with your experiment.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Excellent idea! I have packets of honey pellets that my Sister-in-law bought for me, but have not opened them yet. They sound like they are dry…soooooooo, sounds like you can :) Also, dehydrate raisins…they are super crunchy, extra sweet and taste similar to cotton candy! Maybe another alternative for you?

• I know that when I make “candied walnuts” with honey the honey stays sticky. It seems like honey on it’s own isn’t able to dehydrate in the traditional way but I’d certainly love to hear if you’re able to find a way to get it in a powdered form! I have the same problem but I can’t even tolerate stevia – it’s only honey for me.

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

i will try it sometime (soon hopefully) and post the results. i never thought of dehydrating raisins…interesting…

• Hey! I am going backpacking and have recipes to "dress up" quinoa to last on a weeklong trip. One recipe calls for dried or dehydrated honey. My health food store does not carry it. My search led me to your site. Did you ever try to dehydrate your honey? I am setting up my dehydrator right now, but wondered if you had any tips. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• LindaLinda Raw Newbie

Many of them not aware we can dehydrate honey! Here is a guide on dehydrating honey with the food dehydrator. I hope it helps. 

Matt_Raw
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I love crystallized honey. I wouldn't mind finding a way to speed up the process!