Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NO DEHYDRATOR!?

Hi, I’m a recent rawist and dont’ have a dehydrator! I have a great recipe book and want to make some of the “breads” and crackers but am wondering if it’s possible without a dehydrator. Also, my oven is electric and I can’t use the sun – it’s freezing in Chicago and I’d have to leave it in my alley or on my roof… the animals would get it before it dried… Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Does your oven show you what temp. it is currently at?

• I had the same problem! someone told me they use their radiator, so i tried it 2 days ago, yes i do have trays with flat bread all over my radiators, but it really works! very economic too.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

When i didn’t have a dehydrator I used my convection toaster oven that went as low as 100 deg. My regular convection oven will go as low as 135 deg. and there is some difference of opinion on proper dehydrating temperatures as it’s the food temp that needs to stay below 120. I know some of my recipes dehydrate at 135 deg, figuring the actual food temp was below 120. Maybe someone out there has the info. on oven temp. for you. I will also try to dig the book out that had that information.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

If you’re a personal trainer, you probably like your high-calorie foods. Breads/crackers/etc are going to be vital for that.

I just got my Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator here: http://www.ultimate-weight-products.com/page/UN…&QTS=froogle

Shipping is free, and you get free tray-liners with it.

Heating up an oven or radiator is going to cost you more money in electricity in the long run anyway.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi Rawtrainer, I’m going to chicago tommorow, and I wanted to know where to buy truly raw treats-nori wraps, gogi berries, raw nuts, etc.