Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What about these foods????

I am a little confused about certain foods and them being good for you…or raw or not. I have been 100% raw for almost 3 months now. Or so I thought.(except for a 2 time coffee cheat!) But then I started to wonder if almond milk is raw. It is my breakfast with hemp powder, flax powder, ginger, cinnamon, raisins, pumpkin seeds, lecithin, brewers yeast….to make a raw cereal. What about brewers yeast, almond milk, apple cider vinegar (I don’t use this…but would like to.) Also…what about raw goats cheese. Isn’t goats cheese non dairy???

Thanks for some input.

Comments

• Goat’s cheese is consider dairy. Almond milk is not raw unless you make it yourself, but apple cider vinegar can be purchased raw. I don’t know about brewer’s yeast or lecithin.

• almond milk in a box is not raw. if you buy unpasteurized almonds (almonds labeled raw in the store are pasteurized) and make almond milk yourself, it is raw. however, that doesn’t mean it’s not good for you! the rest of your breakfast sounds very good, so if boxed almond milk is the best you can do, don’t worry about it.

goat cheese is dairy. it is made from goat milk, which is the same as cow’s milk, except from goats. however, if you are a raw foodist who eats dairy, and you obtain goat cheese made from unpasteurized milk, that would be raw. you will get a million different opinions as to whether or not these foods are “good for you.” but it sounds like you are doing great at being raw!

• I believe brewers yeast is raw. Nutritional yeast for the most part isnt raw. Lecithin is a part of several plants and animal products that people use as an emulsifier. It isn’t raw per se but it can used in recipes for it’s nutritional value and how it reacts with things in a recipe.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Spices are not raw. Unless they are organic, they are likely irradiated. Even organic spices are more often dried at temperatures higher than what is considered raw. I haven’t found a raw source yet. Frontier is a good organic source. Lecithin is derived from soy. It’s a processed food.

More about lecithin: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/lecithin.html

• Brewers yeast is not raw as I know, lecithin neither, but apple cider vinegar is generally raw, if it doesn’t say otherwise on the packaging.

• Wow, great feedback….but I am kind of bummed out. Here I am thinking that I was totally raw and I’m not….I kind of suspected that however. I was told a long time ago that babies that were allergic to cow,s milk could drink goats milk because the enzymes in a goats intestines were the same as ours and we could digest it well….and it didn’t have lactose and so…was not considered dairy but a substitute. And I have heard very bad things on the toxicity of apple cider vinegar and raw chocolate????? Does anyone have any solid info on that. Is there a web site dealing with these issues. Although I appreciate all of what you said…...there are contradictions between what you said concerning the brewers yeast….so I am still not sure. Also, I am allergic to soy and didn’t know that lecithin was made from soy…so that is now out. I do use organic frontier spices…... but they are not raw…..I use a bunch of garlic, ginger, turmeric,and psylium. Does anyone else use spices a lot even though they are not considered raw?

• Aww don’t be bummed Willow – I’m pretty sure we’ve all been there – eating something we thought was raw only to find out afterwards that it wasn’t. Just remember that you’re doing waaaaaaaaay better than all the other SAD/SUK people out there, and now you know you can either stick with it or steer yourself away from using the non raw stuff.

On the raw chocolate front – it’s a mixed response – i think the majority of people believe it to be raw and use it as a ‘superfood’ (I know I do!) I also still use garlic and the odd dried spice, but then this is my choice – I may not be 100% according to some people but I have chosen the journey that is right for me…. My body will tell me if it doesn’t like it… You should find your own path and do things how you want to do, it’s your body after all..

xx

• Thanks sunshinekaty!

• I still use a lot of spices, but not as much as before I went raw. I try to choose organic ones. I think spices are very healthy, whether raw or not, they are only a small percentage of our diet anyway.