Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Binge eating

Is there a way to stop binge eating? I’ve never really had this problem before but it seems to have come with my recent weight gain (as I discussed in another topic). I never had to worry about weight and was always very skinny no matter what i ate. Then all the sudden I gained close to 20lbs, probably thanks to accutane and birth control (neither of which I am on anymore). Since my weight gain I think about food constantly. If I get through the day without over eating I always end up eating a ton of food at night even though I’m not hungry. I don’t know how to stop obsessing about food and furthermore how to stop myself from binging on even raw food. Any suggestions or thoughts? Im desperate for input.

Comments

• I would try reading Angela Stokes’s book, Raw Emotions.

• Hi Lyn-doe

I totally know what it’s like! I have had huge problems with bingeing for about five years. I can eat a huge amount of food in one go…though it’s always junk, so I guess not really food!!! Had been better for a few weeks, then this week it’s hit me bad again. And I was doing so well with the raw :(

I have found something that helps, though…lettuce. Sounds weird I know! The other day I had a big sugar craving and I ate a lettuce and it went away. Tried it again yesterday and it worked again. think I will always try to eat a lettuce when I want to binge. Makes you feel a bit stuffed, but that’s better than overeating big time.

Would be nice to hear from you again :)

• Heya. Just a thought, but why not try a fast or master cleanse? You will be hungry, but it will really teach you about how much food you really need to survive. I am re-starting my MC today (after a surprise meal I had to attend!) and it really was amazing to know I could live on just the ‘lemonade’ mix! You may find it changes your eating habits for good.

Good luck!

• I personally am cautious about doing a cleanse/fast because I am type 1 diabetic and I’m not sure how things would work with my insulin/needing to eat if my blood sugar crashes etc.

But I think if you don’t have these kind of issues a cleanse/fast could help…have certainly read that a lot of people don’t get food cravings anymore after cleansing/fasting

• That’s a good point Claire. Do you have the Master Cleanse book? It’s about 30 pages and does have some information about diabetics who wish to take part. If you need it let me know, I can email it :) I myself got it from a member of gone raw and it is really an interesting read – if only for information and not for taking part.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I agree for some doing a cleanse/fast can help with food cravings; with others it can create or cause greater problems with binging. I agree with Raven that reading Raw Emotions might be a good starting point. There is always an underlying issue for overeating and in my opinion, it is most often emotional. I speak first hand on this issue and have great compassion for those who are living with craving/binging, even if it is on raw food.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I agree doing a fast could either be a really good thing or it could turn out to be extremely bad. I wouldn’t risk having it turn out bad, because it may be even harder to reverse. It could strengthen your binging habits times 10. So I would be very very cautious if you chose to do a cleanse/fast. I would definitely recommend finding some books to read though. I know there’s lots of them out there that explain the food-emotion connection. Good luck to you!

• The most I have done fast wise is a 24 hour fast on water at the start of the raw diva detox for a week. It worked alright but at the end of the week I still thought about all the raw gourmet things I could eat when I was done. Im a little leary of doing the MC because I don’t know how it will affect candida and every time I have done a 24 hour fast my period has started the day after, which kind of freaks me out. I will definitely look at Raw Emotions. I appreciate all the input. I also dont have a juicer so any kind of juice feast/fast would be out. I will try the lettuce thing. The thing is I have healthy stuff on hand ready to eat but I still end up bingeing on something less healthy. It just doesnt make sense! Then I get more frustrated and it repeats itself.

• Lyn-doe, I would also refer you to an old book by Geneen Roth called “When Food Is Love.” It deals specifically with binge eating and facing our emotions/fears around food. You may also want to start keeping a journal to help get in touch with what’s happening emotionally. I also agree with coconutty; fasting can set up a cycle of binging and purging. Better to look at what’s really bothering you. This is a tough thing and I appreciate your honesty.