Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Purple coconut!?

This morning I was hacking my Young Coconut open and for the first time ever, when I opened it the water and flesh were both purple!! What does that mean? I disregaurded it and continued to use it for my smoothie. However, I can’t say I wasn’t curious the whole time as to why it was purple!! Has anybody else seen that before? Does that mean it was getting old?

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

purple = rotten

I have eaten them purple though, and am still alive to talk about it. just didn’t want it to go to waste…

• SORRY THAT is wrong NEWBIE….... Purple meat is only the coconut has not ripen yet. Please don’t throw it out, it is mostly useless if you are using for texture in your recipe, but we need to understand they are fine to eat, just not a whole lot to eat and the texture isn’t firm like a regular young coconut.

PURPLE = VERY YOUNGE WHITE = RIPE GREY = OLD
  • Raw Food Real World book says purple means rotten. And all of my purple coconuts have been rotten.

• If it was rotten, wouldn’t it smell or taste bad?

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

so sorry ardesmond2, but there have been several threads that address this: http://goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/3386

• yeah, it is rotten from what i’ve read/heard. there are many other posts about this.

• Well it will only become a debate :) if we keep going back and forth. I guess you have to go by your own instinct. You would know if your coconut was rotten just like any other raw food in the world. Taste the water if it taste gross then throw it out. That’s what makes this site the best you get to hear all opinions but make your own decisions.

PEACE AND BLESSING>

• I’ve used my purple young coconut (only happened once). It was fine. People in Italy think purple young coconuts are a delicacy and will just eat them one after the other. They say they are very young…and I think that’s right. It didn’t taste bad, so I think that’s a good way to gauge it. I could be wrong, but if I have a purple coconut, I eat it.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

thanks ardesmond, i wouldn’t have thought of that or figured that out on my own. just make sure your coconut is not irradiated and soaked in formaldehyde no matter what color it is!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I’m throwing in my 2 cents on the position that purple means it’s super young! Trust me, you will know if it’s rotten or not, don’t just assume it is just by the color! It WILL smell or taste off if it is rotten and there will be no mistaking it. Think about it, if it’s extremely young and there is hardly any meat, you can’t expect that meat to be opaque bright white like the older ones. The coconut meat is still growing. I’m really sorry that so many people assume that the purple color=rotten. That means a lot of good coconuts are going to waste :(

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I read the thing about purple=rotten, in a different book, but I tasted the purple ones & only threw them away if they tasted bad – a couple of them were AWFUL!!! As for younger, I have had some that were thicker, and the purple color was only on the part next to the water & the rest was white. Whatever – I agree with ardesmond – go by taste & instinct :)

• Okay, I think in my case it’s safe to assume it was extremely young. There was hardly any meat along the bottom, and it didn’t have a strong flavor. Also, it didn’t taste bad, but it didn’t taste great either. I was just so thrown off by the color since I was expecting the usual clear water and white flesh!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I recently bought my first young coconut. How do you know when its ripe?