Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Buckwheat groats smell?

Hi! I just soaked a big bunch of buckwheat groats for the first time last night, mixed them with date paste and some agave and put it in the dehydrator to make some cereal. This morning the house had an “off” smell and it’s coming from the buckwheat. Do buckwheat groats smell funny after soaking? I just pealed the teflex sheets off them and flipped it, and I’m hesitating putting them back in the dehydrator. I don’t know how to tell if it’s just a buckwheat smell or if it’s gone bad. Anybody have some advice? Thanks!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I soak mine for 2-4 hours max and they don’t smell. Any longer and you might have problems. If you sprout them just do it for 24 hours otherwise you may get a problem. Sounds like they are a dodgy batch.If there is such a thing?!

• theatregirl and Zoe, I may re-try this recipe out of Alissa Cohen’s book then. I let my groats soak for 12 hours and sprout for 48….My raisin cookies were yucko! Maybe shortening the time will improve them:)

• I soaked them for about 2 hours and then rinsed them a lot. It smells a little like old, drying corn (I’m origianlly from Iowa, btw :) I’d hate to throw out the whole batch, but I’d also hate to get sick from them. :(

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

You know, I’ve been checking in on this question because I wondered the same thing. I made buckwheat cereal and experienced an odd smell, too. I went ahead and tried a bowl, and it just tasted kind of funky to me. Not bad, but just a bit…weird. Musty would be a good word for it. I thought raw buckwheat might just be an acquired taste, so I didn’t throw it out immediately. But I didn’t eat any more of it either. After a week in the fridge, I finally tossed it. I didn’t get sick or anything after I tried it, but I just didn’t like it. Wish I could offer more useful advice! Maybe you could take a tiny taste before deciding whether to throw it out?

• definately sounds like bad sprouting. The funkiness happens with any seeds or grains that have been poorly rinsed or spouted too long.

Buckwheat requires 6-8 hours soak time and 12-24 hours of sprouting. To reduce slimey-ness it is also important with buckwheat to rinse and add fresh soak water every 30 minutes for the first 90 minutes of the soak.

I also rinse more during the sprouting than for other seeds just to make sure. The taste is best when the sprout, or shoot, is 1 millimeter long, (or just barely noticable that the sprouts are growing).

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Great information, jedisunrise! Thanks! I had thought about just giving up on buckwheat cereal, but I’ll give it another try.