Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw athlete

Being an athlete in college (for me, a rower) is hard enough but I find trying to maintain a raw food diet while being a college athlete extremely difficult. Not only do coaches not understand why someone would choose to eat raw food but team pasta dinners and eating out make it really difficult. Does anyone have any advice about how to maintain a raw food diet while being an athlete? I find that I slip from eating raw food to carb loading on pasta, eating less vegetables, or consuming one too many cookies etc. because the coaches insist that carbs. found in pasta (for example) are necessary. I feel lost…does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• rawprincess, I was a college athlete (years ago) so I do understand— it is hard. Even as an adutl, maintaining a fully raw diet is impractical. However, when I travel for work, I try make a grocery store run in advance and be sure to have lots of healthful, raw foods available – raw nuts, seed bars, raisins, dates, etc… to eat/snack on. When dining with the team, can you start with a salad and lots of veggies? (raw or steamed – they will still be better than heavy carb crud.) Can you look for sweet potatoes? Tofu. and things like that? I find that helps me stay on track.

Now, as mentioned elsewhere, I still haven’t figured out how to get enough fuel for training through a completely raw diet… so hopefully someone else will have ideas as well.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey rawprincess1! I’m no athlete, but I do know there have been other forums about this subject if you start searching through the topics. Lots of suggestions on what to eat from other athletes, so it can be done. Cute dog!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

i’ve been eating all raw for 3 weeks, running and blogging about it at heartshapedsky.vox.com. so far, i’ve found i can eat a lot! i’m a touch under 5 feet tall, weigh just under 100lbs and i can eat loads of nut cheezes, avocados, bananas, fruit, smoothies, green drinks, coconut oil- you name it. good luck!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

have you checked out Tim’s RunningRaw site yet or his vids on youtube?....also Fruitarian Fitness? I find that I perform much better without carbs. It’s amazing what the body can do with fruit alone during an extended workout! .....dinners out with others is always a challenge, but well worth it for me. For recovery, I enjoy maca, hempseeds and lots of avocados! Good Luck!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

rawprincess look to the raw athlete post in health and beauty. We’ve had a good discussion going. When you click on Forums you can search your topic before posting to make sure it’s not already out there.