Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

fermented soy

I know soy products are very mucus forming and generally avoided by the raw public. But I just read an article (on Dr Mercola’s site – I know he’s controversial to raw foodies, so I want your opinion on this) about the health benefits of fermented soy.

Here’s the article:http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/03/27/why-this-type-of-soy-is-better.aspx

What do you make of it? I was never crazy about tofu, but I loved tempeh when I was a standard vegan and I know a lot of raw recipes use miso. What do you think?

Comments

• I use miso in recipes and drink it hot and I feel great when I do so I don’t worry about it. Technically, not raw though I’m sure.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Since it’s not raw, I try to avoid soy and nama shoyu. I dont know about the health issues though.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i use miso rarely and shoyu even more rarely. i feel a little guilty about it until i see a friend pouring half a bottle of soy sauce on her rice, so i really don’t mind it once in a while. i don’t think its a big deal unless you have an allergy or something. id say i consume miso or shoyu once or twice a month.

• I guess I’m specifically wondering about tempeh. I mean it’s fermented, not cooked, right? And if the Mercola article is to be believed, then the bad things about soy products are evidently removed when soybeans are fermented…so is it okay to eat? Does anyone know for sure if tempeh is raw?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

The problem with Mercola’s various arguments on soy is that he is a bit of fibber. For example, he claims “Asians” only consume an average of two teaspoons of soy a day. Number one, there is no country called “Asia” and no race of “Asians”, Asia being comprised of many countries and cultures, their diets varying drastically. Some eat soy, others do not. What Mercola’s source did was to average out those who did not consume soy with those who consume a lot and fudge his math. Very, very bad way to support your theory. And REALLY crappy math.

I’m not saying there is good or bad with soy. I”m just pointing out that his article is not worthy of being used to support anything, and neither are his sources.