Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Migraine w/ Aura

Anyone familiar with these or ever experience one? They can be very scary and wanted to see if anyone has any tips on preventing them!thanks

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I had debilitating migraines, which improved greatly when i went gluten-free and then disappeared when i went raw. I still will get a headache whenever I drink any wine.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

izhpt, thats so interesting that your migraines disappeared with raw! a really good friend of mine has awful migraines, and i’m sure he’ll be thrilled to find out they can be helped with dietary changes.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I get one once in a very blue moon! Sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop them from occuring.

When you end up getting hit with one, put an ice pack on your head. The reason you get migrains is vascular. The blood vessels in your brain first constrict = the aura. Then for some reason they dilate and the blood pound into your brain casing pressure and pain. Ice will help the blood vessels from dilating too rapidly and to such an extent.

Hope this helps!

• Yes I get those every once and awhile but I haven’t had one since going raw. I never understood what would cause them because they seemed to happen randomly. I started getting them in 9th grade but when I first got them I would only experience the aura without a headache. I never understood what was going on. Later I started getting the terrible headache too and feelings of nauseousness. Ive only been a few months raw but I haven’t had one yet.

• I used to get them very rarely, and not at all now. Hate to say it, but when I did get them, the allopathic route worked for me every time. As soon as the aura came, I popped 4 regular Advils and that did the trick. But you have to do that as soon as the aura starts. I didn’t like taking them, but I preferred that to a migraine. Good luck!

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Izhpt – Same here on all counts. They were so debilitating. I went gluten-free and six months later realized I hadn’t had a headache, which was usually almost a daily occurence. Now only if I have a glass of wine will I get one, and even that it is not a given.

• when i was in middle school and high school i used to get them like twice a week.. it was awful. i stayed home from school sometimes or went in late.. then they gradually went away.. then they popped up a few years later when i was in the military.. the aura and everything.. i was the Colonel’s driver and it was really bad when i got the aura cuz sometimes i would even have a hard time seeing to drive! there are sooo many things that can go into why one would get a migraine.. it could be diet, stress, hormones, allergies, even smells.. i cant handle perfume or cleaning supplies..i hate it when i run into someone out in public who has bathed in perfume.. i had to do a diary that i put EVERYTHING into.. what i ate.. when.. everything.. i really could never figure it out.. it has been a while since i had a migraine now.. and it doesnt happen very often anymore.. when i went vegan.. gradually moved toward a more healthy lifestyle, used more natural products (i HAVE to use natural cleaning stuff), ate more healthy stuff, stopped eating sugary foods, stopped my soda addiction and cigarettes (eww).. so im not sure what it was that was causing the migraines.. good luck figuring it out! and i KNOW you’ve heard this before.. but you gotta stay hydrated!!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I had debilatating migraines/w aura frequently before I changed my diet. The only thing that gave relief was “caffeine” but had to drink or eat it at the onset of the headache! I would use tea, coffee or chocolate, whatever I could get quickly. Then sit back and relax, usually it would be gone before I knew it. I also, have not had one since going raw! Hope this helps on your next one! Might watch out for fermented foods as well as red wine.

• I had migraines on a regular basis for years on end. I had my wisdom teeth extracted 4 years ago and never got another migraine to date!

• Thanks for all your advice. I had gotten one of these yesterday and was scared it could of been a stroke. I have heard that people who get aura migraines are at risk of having stroke. I hadn’t had one in almost two years..not sure what caused this. Trying to hopefully prevent another one. It is the aura that freaks me out because I get a blind spot in my vision and then I start seeing flickering shimmery lights. I was hoping their were more natural ways to prevent them. Hopefully cutting certain things out of my life will do the trick. Thanks again everyone and sorry any of you have had to deal with this!!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

my mom sent me something that said to eat spicey food at the onset, like gumbo or hot and sour soup..not raw but ther might be a recipe floating out there somewhere…dont use my gumbo recipe, it was not so good…. my poor hub had a puking migraine this past saturday, he ate chinese food for dinner the night before as he was late at work..damn msg!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

My grandmother used to get them and she would soak her feet in the hottest epson salt water she could stand. saying it would pull the blood away from her brain. I think I read somewhere that diabetics should not soak their feet in real hot water.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

One thing that particularly helps if you are prone to the 1st day of the period migraine is Mag-Phos 30X. It is a homeopathic recommended by by naturopath. It just disolves under the tongue. I’m sure it’s not raw, but it’s WAY better than those horrifying migraine meds. Good luck.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

My twin has this problem occasionally. She manages to block the migraine when it’s in the aura phase, BEFORE it comes on, by using oils like camphor and menthol. No, I doubt the combo she buys is organic, but it sure beats popping a pill. The important thing is to act when it’s still in the aura phase.