Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconuts

Can someone please help me with info coconuts; coconut water, young coconuts, coconut milk and more. What kind of coconut oil is okay to purchase, if any and dried coconut…am I just looking for organic dried. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

If you buy coconut oil go for extra virgin unrefined coconut oil. Young coconuts are good to get the water. Dry coconuts are good to shred. I wouldn’t purchase coconut milk because it is not raw.

• What is a young coconut? How do you get water from them?

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

This is a good demo on how to open a young coconut:

http://www.rawguru.com/openyoungcoconut.html

It’s pretty easy once you’ve practiced on a couple. You should be able to get them from local asian stores or many wholefood shops.

• did you know, that coconut means monkey face nut.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

rawstiles – a young coconut is full of milk, about a pint of it. And the flesh is like jelly. As it gets older it solidifies into the ‘normal; kind with the brown husk, and hard flesh.I think it is a million times more tasty young, the milk is far more sweet and lovely.

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

Actually, the liquid inside is coconut water. Coconut milk is what you get if you squeeze the flesh.

• i had a young coconut for the first time this morning. it was fantastic! the meat tasted like doughnuts and the water was just delicious.

• Thanks everyone for your help! This is amazingly wonderful! Okay so denzildragon, can one make coconut milk themselves? Excuse my ignorance. Anyone out there have suggestions/recipes on what to do with the flesh? I don’t want to just take out the water and dispose of the rest. Jaymz72, thanks for the original meaning. ;) Would not have guessed that one.

• I’ve read that you get coconut milk by blended the juice and the meat of a young coconut together.

• you eat it rawstiles! Depending on the age of the coconut, you could just scoop the meat out, pour the water out.. and enjoy both of them. You can also blend the two together for a really simple smoothie.

• I use the meat from the brown hairy coconuts to make dried coconut. I cut the meat from the shell (it’s quite a workout!) shred it in the food processor and dried it in my dehydrator for a few hours. I store it in glass containers in the refrigerator.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Can blend the flesh with water, dehydrate it, and make crepes, or fill with curried cauliflower and peas, and make samosas. Or cut squares of it out, stack it with cheese, cover with sauce and make rawvioli.

• Zoe – any ideas on where I can locate recipes with ideas as those you mentioned? I am very new to this and only have a couple of books, that don’t mention those.When ever you have a moment, of course! If anyone else has suggestions that is great too! I will post what I use and think is worth sharing. ;)

• A most delicious organic coconut oil is Jungle http://www.junglepi.com/products/coconut_oil.html. The fragrance is wow and it makes the best popcorn!

• rawstiles, I always keep young coconuts in my fridge and if I open one and don’t need the water or the meat for something right then, I cover it and put it in the frige to use in smoothies. The meat works great to thicken anything. I don’t want it to go bad, so if I don’t use it within a day or two I drink the water and eat the meat. It is so good for you. Just my two cents. Jamie

• cheann are you sure about popcorn dont you have to cook that i do like coconut oil tho

i didnt think pop corn was raw thats all

• omg, mango woman, DONUTS?! i’ve been putting off this coconut thing for a while, too afraid to have at a fresh one, but this donut comment has sent me over the edge. i hope i don’t lop any of my fingers off, but now i simply must have one. s

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’ve never had young coconut but I definitely am going to try to find them now!