Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New to raw food :)

Hello All,

I’ve been about 80-90% raw (closer to 90+%) for about a week now. I was not vegetarian before, but I didn’t eat dairy, beef or pork. I also didn’t eat soy (except for fermented) and gluten. My diet was high in other forms of animal protein and cooked oils. I have PCOS and have changed my diet dramatically over the past two years and lost, weight, but I sill have other PCOS symptoms that I need to alleviate. I’m wondering if there is anyone else in the group who had PCOS.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and was introduced to raw foods last year when I stopped in Cafe Gratitude and ordered a dessert. Needless to say I was impressed. Something that tastes wonderful but is dairy, soy refined sugar, and gluten free. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I looked into raw foods as a lifestyle (not just as an occasional treat or lunch) and decided it wasn’t for me before actually trying it. My DP already has a Excalibur dehyrator (never used it) a wheat grass extractor (we already used it on a regular basis) and two good blenders (use a LOT) and we are looking to get a juicer, a spiral slicer, food processor and maybe ice cream maker (not priority).

Something told me to just try it, gradually and see how I feel. I haven’t gone vegan (still eat a hard boiled egg some days and a small piece of steamed fish) yet. Also, the non raw foods consist of teas, agave, vanilla extract, “raw” cashews (for milk or “cream”) For the past week I’ve been having detoxing symptoms – I wonder how long this should last. Basically here is my diet:

Morning Smoothie with fresh or frozen organic blueberries or strawberries; spirluna or hemp seed protein powder, water or homemade nut milk.

Snack Salad, raw nuts or fruit

Lunch (any of the combo or single food) Salad (romaine or sprouts, avocado, red onion, red peppers, seeds, homemade raw dressing) with nuts, flax crackers, dehydrated “bread”. Raw no bean hummus and veggies or crackers. Raw marinara. I may to go a the raw food restaurant for lunch.

Dinner Wheat grass (up to 4 oz one hour before eating) Salad, hummus, veggies, crackers, coconut water and flesh, strawberries, nut milk

Night Fruit

Obviously since I am new, I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I’m sure I will adjust. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m open to it.

Thanks! Carla

Comments

• Hi Carla !

I have PCOS also. I have the feeling that eating raw alleviate my symptoms (acne, hair growth and weight gain). I am not very knowledgeable though as I have been on and off the raw diet and also I have tried different approaches (reducing fruits, but I did not prepare myself enough as this triggered a lot of nut eating, which I don’t digest that well, eating 3 hard boiled eggs in the morning etc.). At the moment, I try to reintroduce more fruits and limit the nuts. I will see if it works on my acne (which work as a signal to me) and weight gain.

Take care !

• Hi, Carla

I also new to the diet but I got to know some raw foodist who had adopted this lifestyle for a long time. Their advise is eat what your body crave for. Your body will tell you what you need. There is no 1 diet plan that can fit all raw foodit. For myself, I’m more of a fruit person so I ate a lots of fruits. However I will also try to drink green juices for the minerals. However, I notice after consuming several days of high fruits diet, i will crave for salad. So feel free to experiment.

Good luck!

• Hi Pomme,

I eat about 3-4 servings of fruit a day, but I limit most of that to berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc) since they are in season. I don’t get the sugar crash when I stick to low GI fruits.

I soak all of my nuts. I normally cant digest them well either, but after soaking and drying them, they go down much easier.

Eunice,

Good advice!

• Hi, I am also new to Raw-I’ve been to 2 potlucks (both this weekend) and have decided to go 100%. Any and all suggestions, recommendations will be greatly appeciated. I was vegan prior to this-with the occasional slip d/t proxsimity. What is PCOC?

• Welcome! I love Cafe Gratitiude! It is delicious! I was in San Fran last month and had a wonderful meal there!

Linda 

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi Barose and Pomme. I know a couple people who have PCOS and every now-and-then (when I get a chance) I encourage them to eat raw. I just want to say thanks for sharing your story… and I will certain pass on any success stories to those ‘friends’ of mine with PCOS.