Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hi all, about to dip my toe in the water

Hey everyone, I’m really excited about trying the raw vegan diet/lifestyle but a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to begin.

I am currently vegetarian with 3 omnivorous children and an omnivorous partner. My partner is very supportive of my beliefs and ready to help me be raw, but not interested in trying it himself. My children want to be “normal” like other kids, or maybe that’s just what I want for them. So it’s just me embarking on this journey on my own, and it’s so different from my usual eating habits that I’m not sure where to start.

I’m generally “healthy” and well, I could stand to lose a few pounds and I could definitely use more energy. I’m used to hot food and I eat my fair share of junk, although I am generally healthier than the average person (whatever that is). I do find that “regular food” makes me feel kind of slow and heavy and bloated, and I am looking forward to not feeling that way any more.

I am kind of a fussy eater though, I don’t like really like nuts, dried fruit, tomatoes, citrus, stuff with stalks, there’s not much left after that… I used to not like vegetables either but the my ex used to cook for me and “hide” stuff in sauces etc so I ate veg without really tasting it, and I guess I grew to like it. I’m kind of hoping I can do something similar with the raw stuff I don’t like, maybe hide it in smoothies or something.

Wow I only meant to introduce myself and I end up typing a huge essay! Anyway, I would love to get to know other people who are going through the same stuff as I am, to get advice and support, to learn, and to make new friends. Hopefully I can find that here :)

Kate xx

Comments

• jump in, its nice !

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Hello to you go. Well starting slow is the best thing to do. Eventually after eating foods, you didn’t really like, you will become accustomed to it and eventually may even crave it.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Take it slow, forgive your “slip ups”, and continue to visit goneraw.com for support and your should make it just fine! Congratulations on your decision to go raw!

• Hello! I just wanted to suggest starting with easy stuff for jsut one or 2 meals every day. for me it was a fruit smoothie at breakfast and a green smoothie at lunch. Both very tasty, very raw, and very EASY! Just change up the fruits and greens frequently and you can do this for quite a while. After doing that for a while you can see for yourself how you feel and before you even get bored of these 2 meals you will have made up your mind if raw is for you. At least in my opinion based on my personal experience that is!

• Hey guys,

I’ve managed about 50% raw for the last 3 days, and I’m drinking my first green smoothie right now (tastes kind of weird, but refreshing). I feel really good, I’ve lost 3lbs already, I’m so much less hungry than I used to be, but I do feel tired sooner on an evening. Is that normal? Will it get better when my body gets used to this? I’m hoping to continue with 50% for a couple of weeks then try to increase things as I feel I can manage.

• When I went raw, I went through a few weeks where I was very tired waking up in the morning. I could get up easily if I made myself, but I simply wanted to go back to sleep at first. On days off of work, I would sleep in a couple hours late every day. That passed after a couple weeks. Your body takes that period of rest at night and spends energy towards healing. I think the desire to sleep was my body doing a lot of healing. Perhaps you are experiencing something similar? At any rate, that period has passed so it probably won’t last.

• With the green smoothies, try adding stevia and salt. The contrasting flavors are really nice and they made me love green smoothies!