Help! What to do w/ Wheatgrass?

I just bought a pint-size plastic container of sprouted wheatgrass from the grocery store and am not entirely sure what to do with it. Also, I don’t know much about how it grows.

Do I snip off the blades and juice them or juice the roots too?

If I do just juice the blades, will it grow back? It looks like it’s growing in dirt. Should I re-plant it in a proper container?

Any and all help appreciated! ~Adria

Comments

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Wheatgrass has a very short lifespan. You cut the blades close to the dirt and juice them. Sometimes you can get a second growth from the cut plant but generally the plant is done once you’ve cut it.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

If you don’t have one already, I think you will need wheatgrass juicer, or one of the Green Power juicers, a juicer that can handle wheatgrass. :)

• I always put my wheatgrass in a blender with 2 bananas, 2 apples and about 2 cups of water, then blend….for a green smoothie!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

meganthevegan: Great idea! I’ve heard you need to take your wheatgrass separately because it can lead to digestive issues, but I once took a shot, and then proceeded to eat my lunch. No issues whatsoever! :)

• We grow our own wheatgrass. After reading the Ann Wigmore and Steve Meyerowitz wheatgrass books, we learned you want to cut the grass about one inch above the soil.

From the Wheatgrass book by Steve Meyerowitz…. Wheatgrass is mature and ready for harvest when 7-10 inches tall. Another marker is when the blade develops a second stem. Harvest by cutting one inch above the soil.

We did use our Green Star to juice our wheatgrass, but found we had more foam then juice.

So we bought a “Back to Basics” wheatgrass juicer from www.wheatgrasskits.com

Raw Guru also carries the “Back to Basics” wheatgrass juicer. www.rawguru.com

The Back to Basics wheatgrass juicer produces juice, not foam!

We drink 2 oz. wheatgrass shots in the morning and at lunch. We also juice some wheatgrass and add it to our smoothies at lunch. You receive more benefits when you juice the wheatgrass, then add it to your smoothies.

We have also used the wheatgrass as a face mask, put it on cuts to heal wounds, and prevent scarring. There is really a whole list of beneficial elements for wheatgrass and barley grass.

• I’ve only had wheatgrass shots at resturants I’m kind of worry about doing it on my own. The resturant and few cafes I’ve been to that had it were amazing. I even try to go once a week to those spots jsut for that.