Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Should I Feel Sick?

Hey gang, I just made two juices: one w/ chard, kale, carrot, and apple.

The other w/ cucumber, celery, cilantro, dill, basil stems, rosemary, ginger, apple, lime, and green grapes.

They both taste fine and I only had a few sips of each, but now I feel sort of queasy and shaky (a mild version of that feeling you get before you faint). Did I juice something I wasn’t supposed to or do you think my body just isn’t used to this density of nutrients?

All love, ~Adria

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I posted similar friday night after eating a big kale salad for the first time—really nauseated! It did eventually pass, but I had a rough night. Sometimes i am also nauseous after mango smoothies—i also add greens, but I’m sure it was chard on that day, not kale. I was thinking it was the mango until i had that salad. Just don’t know—hope you get a good answer & wish I could help.

• Crazy—I posted a topic about having this same reaction to a Kale smoothie (w/ banana and pineapple, ginger and mint) right before a run. Cold sweats, dizziness, and crazy pain in my abdomen. I thought that it was just because I didn’t wait lng enough before my run. Were you exercising when you went all wonky?

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

this happened to me as well! for me i narrowed it down to the pineapple i had put in my spinach, banana and pineapple smoothie, if it’s bad it’s really bad. maybe too acidic? i had just finished a 10 mile run, drank about 12 ounces of this and needed to be in a dark room, in bed and wait for the sick nauseas waves to pass. yuck!

• When I first started drinking a lot of greens two years ago, I had this very same reaction a few times to similar ingredients. It doesn’t actually happen anymore, but I concluded that it must have something to do with the natural toxins in green leafy veggies. These prevent animals from grazing too long in one spot and may sometimes be a bit too concentrated in juice form.

Alternatively, cilantro in particular is apparently a potent heavy metal detoxifier. I’m not an expert here, but I would imagine that it could have an adverse effect if consumed in excess.

• sleeknraw – I think it was the herbs in the second one that did me in. I had already added half the cilantro before I realized it wasn’t parsley. (I originally wanted a cucumber/parsley/lime juice.) I kept adding things trying to come up with complementary flavors… and just got weirdness. Then sickness.

Zooey – I’ve been wonky for quite some time, but in this particular instance, no, I was not exercising. Unless you count standing as exercise.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and commiseration!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I am fine if I juice kale, but if I eat it in a salad, I find if I don’t chew it REALLY well, my stomach hates me. I feel genally icky! Weird stuff!

Wow that’s cool aobut cilantro! I should be pretty much free of heavy metals as I eat ALOT of it! :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Zooey Glass-I always have the green smoothie after the morning run or spin so thankfully i wasn’t exercising, but I was trying to treat a patient while sighing deeply through waves of nausea. I’m glad to know I’m not alone. I can add the kale to the morning smoothie with anything else except mango—been enjoying one w/ papaya recently. Side funny—woke this morning to a large bite taken out of my papaya. Large family, but no one would eat papaya. Not sure who or what—eeew! Whatever it was—the dogs slept through it. Luna blu—i need to chew more because the salad was worth it, I think. So yummy.

• mermadria, I had a cilantro, banana, blueberry, dried nettle, grapeseed powder smoothie, it was delicious and I didn’t feel any bad after it, although I put a whole bunch of cilantro into it. It is so strange.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

AARgh! Again today with the nausia and tremendous bloating 1 hour after my yummy salad—no kale either—fresh arugula,avo chopped and SD tomato/basil dressing w/ dulse. I think i’m having a mild healing crisis.