breastfeeding while detoxing?

Hello! I am trying to switch to a 100% raw diet for the first time ever, but I am a breastfeeding mother. I have heard alot about detoxing, and the sides affects that you get from eating all raw. My question is…has anyone heard anything about the effects that breastfeeding while detoxing can have on my baby? Should i hold off becoming all raw until she is weaned?

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I was done breastfeeding my daughter when I went raw, so I have not done the research on that as of yet. However, I can tell you that fasting or other forms of detoxing (i.e. master cleanse, etc.) is contra-indicated during breastfeeding, so it would lead me to believe that it would go the same for 100% raw, as your body would do a large toxin dump that would get into your breastmilk. However, if you were to remain 70%-80% raw, your body would not have the large toxin dump and as long as you drank alot of water, you and baby would probably be o.k. Now, the other option would be that if you really feel that you need to go 100% raw right now, you could pump and store 2-3 weeks of breastmilk to give to your daughter while you are detoxing so she doesn’t get the toxins. I am unsure how old she is or whether she is onto solids yet, so you would have to decide it that is too much pumping for you or not. Hope this helps!

• I would say that the best thing you could possibly do for your baby would be to go raw. I hope this doesn’t sound too harsh but the detox you may experience shouldn’t be any more toxic than the cooked food that is making up your breastmilk right now. Plus your baby will probably detox right along with you. You could always do some enemas or colonics to help your body get rid of stuff faster.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I agree with rawmumma even though I haven’t been through that situation. It doesn’t make sense to continue giving yourself the same toxins that you are trying to get rid off because instead of breastfeeding her a little toxins for a short period of time. If you only go partially raw then you would be breastfeeding toxins the entire time. I don’t believe in enemas and colonics but if you want to do that go ahead. I don’t know if you are able to drink any tea’s that are natural laxative. You can up the flax seeds.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Good points rawmumma and joesc, I hadn’t thought enough about before answering I think! I was admittedly taking a more “medical” slant on my thinking, going on what they would tell a mom to do if she had to take a temporary medicationn that baby shouldn’t get. So, I think I am re-analyzing my answer. Baby detoxing with mom could be better. I am so thankful for others insights!

• I am nursing and recently transitioned to raw. I’m not 100%, but I used the same logic that others suggest. I have had some detoxing symptoms, but have not noticed anything out of the ordinary in my son (22 months). He is, however, making a smoother transition to raw than I ever would have imagined, which I am sure is from my breastfeeding him while raw. I think its a go.

• Alright! Thank you, i was especially glad to hear from another breast feeding mother! And a doula! everyones opionion was actually helpful so wish Zoe (my daughter) and me luck going all raw.