Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Running......

Hey does anyone else love running as much as I do? It is like the perfect form of exercise. Being outside in the fresh air working out…it’s awesome. Plus it keeps my weight down and gives me this amazing rush! I just love it and was wondering if anyone else felt the same :)

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Yeah, I feel that way about riding my bike. Winter has finally ended and the weather’s getting warmer where I live. I can’t wait to start riding my bike again!! Whee!

• I’ve never liked running before but registered to take a running conditioning class through school (to fill up my units) and have grown to really love it. The progression of the course, which has slowly built up my endurance and stamina has really inspired me to run regularly. With running I can noticeably see the improvement in a matter of weeks, as I reduce my time and ability to run longer.

It’s nice in regards to the fact that you can run pretty much anywhere and don’t need any equipment (just a good pair of lungs). I love running on hiking trails with my three dogs, removed from all the traffic and hub-bub of suburbia. I agree about the outdoors, nothing beats it.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I love it too. Just waiting for my knee to heal up so that I can get back to it.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

love it! running my first marathon in san francisco in october!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I love running too, especially for its psychological effects and the fact that it forces me to get outdoors in winter. Good luck heartshapedsky on the marathon!! Wow. I’m reading PACE right now, which kinda blunts your love of running, because it contends that endurance sports are actually bad for us, that we should be sprinting and recovering instead and every so often changing sports. I have my reservations but I’m gonna give it a try and I’ll post my results.

• i used to love running when i had someone to do it with.. i am not good at motivating myself and i will just give up before i should.. but as warm weather is closer i am feeling the urge to work up a sweat and start running again.. even if it is just to the end of my driveway.. haha j/k but really i need to..

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I love running but excessive running hurts my knees. For that reason, I LOVE LOVE biking so much because i never am sore! I bike 2-5 miles a day in spring/summer fall. wohoo!

• My husband has been running for the last ten years. I just started running this year and have since been hooked on running in races! I ran my first half marathon in November. Not that I am fast at all! Races keep my training up because it gives me something to train for!

thanks carmentina! i look forward to hearing more about PACE. i’m all about the cross training aspect of running. i’m lifting weights, rebound, and take an outdoor boot camp style class at a ocal park once a week.

winona- i’ve always been so clumsy on my bike but i should try it again- more great cross training and mixing it up. can’t wait to swim more too.

• Hey cmf0036, I read your profile and [regarding your chemistry focus and how what you’re doing will someday replace animal testing] I think that is really awesome. I wish you good luck with that and I really hope there is more going on with that! I’ve never heard of such a study.

Awesome, awesome awesome. You kinda made my day.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I don’t love running… yet. Well, let me rephrase that. I really love the idea of running, and the running I’m able to do so far makes me feel wide awake and alive and powerful and strong, and I love that! But I’m just starting out and it still hurts. I got a really good suggestion on another running thread here about matching my breathing to my footsteps (in-in-out-out) and that has helped tremendously, so I’m hopeful that as it gets easier I’ll start to love it more.

jenergy- this may sound cheesy to some but it really works for me: as soon as i find myself falling out of that running zone or getting tired i do the in-in-out-out breathing and i repeat in my head to that beat,”i am a runner, i can run.” affirmations rock!

and in those moments when my knees may hurt i imagine a white bubble of light around where it hurts and i am good to go. it’s really a cool trick.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

woohoo!! Running! Good to see others share my love :). wow, I want to run a marathon sometime soon…I’m not fast either lol. I don’t really get pain in my knees, just in my hips sometimes. heartshapedsky, that is good advice. I sometimes do that in my head too when I’m feeling tired and stuff.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Love it! Heading out now, as a matter of fact! we’ve been chatting over on the raw Athlete thread about our workouts and tips. Enjoy!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Yeah I love running as well as cycling, skiing, snowshoeing, snowboarding, etc…but running really does kick ass in regards to getting a good aerobic workout and you get a lot of bang for the buck. I can get a good workout in just an hour with little prep time and no expensive equipment to tinker with…..

That all being said, I have always had problems with my knees even after 2 knee surgeries 10 yrs ago. I can only run about 5-6 miles and if I get too greedy and run too many days in a row, I have problems…all kinds of different knee pains and aches…I’m 38yrs old and have beaten up my poor body with all kinds of sports over 20+ years.

SO, now I just got back into my Hot Bikram yoga which is a healing type yoga but also very intense and a very amazing workout. I’m currently taking a break from the running and strength training and focussing on yoga and cycling for a while until my knees can get sorted out.

• I love running, but stopped after being diagnosed with a torn meniscus 2.5 years ago. After that, I stuck with the elliptical machines at the gym and vinyasa yoga. The other day, I included a little running after being on the ellipticals at the gym and it felt great! Still, I’m afraid of pushing it. Has anyone else here ever had a torn meniscus, and if so, could they continue running without exacerbating it? Also, is there a beginners hot yoga class? I’m really curious.

The bikram yot yoga is for beginners and as well as advanced students. While some say the poses are simple, they can be very intense and take a long time to get perfectly. Both beginners and advanced students will get great benefits even in the same class. Last night there were a couple other instructors in the class as well as a couple first timers. You just take it slowly in the beginning, resting if you need to or just do one set. Some poses are very intense for me so I just do the best I can and know that I’ll improve with each class. Here’s the website where I go and it shows you the 26 poses:

http://www.bikramyogaburlington.com/studio.html

Here’s my thread about Bikram yoga I started:

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4697

• Thanks, Joyce. I have to say, you’ve really peaked my interest. There’s a studio a few blocks away, so I can definitely try it. Thanks for the links!

Mon46 – it might help your memiscus and set you up for running safely. It’s a very hot and healing yoga. It’s great how your tendons and ligaments get heated up and stretch so nicely.

Believe me I love to run but w/o this yoga I may only make my knees much worse if I continue on my current running schedule. The impact just can’t be good even though it feels so good to run. But if you crave really intense workouts with that high afterwards, you’ll love this yoga.