Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food combining

are you guys strict on the way you eat raw foods? i read the natalie rose book and I’m getting confused and can’t seem to remember lol!

Comments

• Im a vegan and Im just starting. Thou I usually dont eat much cooked foods (except for tea) I think that is not a matter of being stric with yourself… I mean, you are free to eat raw or not, but when your body starts to be completely clean you feel that the cooked food is dead. I imagine that to a vegetarian ill be like starting to eat meat again =S

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Sometimes.

I found that I got sick because I worried too much that I didn’t have enough raw food to eat. So, I had to move back a few steps and eat cooked and raw. But, for food combining specifically, I am not strict… except my body does not do well on poor food combining (specfically nuts with fruit). Well, at least I think that is the problem. So, I’m just now starting to do something about food combining… only because I have no choice. I had to do it sometime… I guess that’s now.

I also eat only two meals a day… so, with food combining I feel more limited in my choices… so, I may need to add a small dinner or large dinner snack. Who knows…

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I was getting all hyped up about that food combining thing too, worrying about what was right to eat with what. Well, long story short, I kept the part about eating melons solo (since I tried eating them with other foods and got major stomach problems). But I found that I was listening to what others told me more than what my body told me. When I craved nuts, it was too bad because I was eating fruit now, so I had to wait like an hour or so. And I could not drink water right after a meal, even though my body was telling me I was thirsty. So, I realized I was ignoring my body. You have to learn what works for you. I realized I CAN eat fruit and nuts and not be bothered, which may not be the case for some people. I stopped listening to all of the different things I read or people say because it all contradicts…and what do they know about me and how my body works? Everyone’s different…and I know me best.

• I think I might have to look at food combining because I have been so bloated this past week. I have been raw since January & so am suprised I’m having a bloated tummy now. I have not introduced any new foods. Has anyone got any other ideas or link to food combining posts.. Thanx

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The food combining idea is one I always ignored and got by by eating intuitively. Eating intuitively means that my habits are always shifting and now in the last 6 months I have been naturally drawn to what I read is good food combining. I just don’t want nuts mixed with fruits and I tend to want simple combinations. Anything else makes me feel heavy and uncomfortable. But I don’t think I would have got this far if I’d followed food combining by force from the start though. Cakes, pies and rich dressings were too much of a big part of my transitioning! But I do see that if you have digestion issues like ibs, then combining is worth trying, I know people who swear by it.

• here is a great link for food combining that makes it super easy to remember….for me ;)

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/digestive-physi…

also i made a little laminated note card to take along in my wallet when I am out and about..pretty soon you will have it down, and supreme digestion= maximum nourishment.

Remember it is not what you eat that nourishes your body, it is what your body properly digests that turns it into nourishment (or not if improperly digested)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I totally agree with Rawsiki and Zoe. I think food combining can be a great tool if you’re not feeling well on raw, or if you have specific health problems going in. But not only are we all different, but for many of us, poorly combined raw feels so much better than what we were eating before that small digestion issues aren’t even noticeable in the beginning. And the complicated (often poorly combined) recipes can make the transition much more comfortable.

So when you’re starting out, just listen to your body. What feels good? What doesn’t? Go with that. And keep in mind that what feels good will likely change the longer you eat raw, so be open to adjusting as you go! Whatever you do, don’t stress about it. To support your transition, eat foods that make you feel good both emotionally and physically.

• the only rules I really follow are: keep nuts/fat to a minimum. I can tolerate some avocado and oils and stuff, but nuts or nut butters…hell no. My body doesn’t digest fats so well and I’ll get bloated and nauseous etc. The second is I have to keep it simple. Too many ingredients must confuse my body or something, haha.