Stinky Legumes

Hi everyone. Ive been trying to sprout some seeds but they end up stinky. I made garbanzo and they smelled like bad wine, and then I tryed some lentils and the smell was terrible too. Does anyone know why is this happening? I guess Ill have to buy those sprouted organic beans from market =P

Comments

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I don’t have troubles with beans they sprout very well. I soak them for 12 hours or more, I think that garbanzos sprout better outside cupboard (but don’t know why…) but with no direct light.

I’ll make some garbanzos sprouts today (they have been soaking for 15, I think…) with a different kind of garbanzos, if I see something “strange” I’ll tell you.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Better if I explain more exactly wht I do, perhaps it helps.

I soak beans for a LONG time (12-15 hours) in a LOT of water.

After that I wash them well with water, rinse well, live them outside cupboard but NOT in a sunny place.

I wash them twice a day with a lot of water (not just “throw” a cup of water and rinse) and rinse them well.

My garbanzos are sprouted in only 2 days or so.

Good luck!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

You need to check they are not past their sell by date or they will not sprout properly and smell instead. Also, rinsing twice a day in hot weather.

• We sprout lentils regularly with not problems. Like anngoingraw says, a good long soak to start and then regular rinces. Sometimes beans are more difficult if they are old. Pull out the ones that haven’t sprouted. They’ll contibute to your problems.

• Thank you very much for your help! Im trying today with white beans, I soaked them for 10 hours, and they did not smelled bad, lets see what happens next ^^