Inventory for a Raw Kitchen

Hey folks! I am kinda new to the raw food lifestyle and am curious about what to have in the pantry that is 100% raw and commonly used in raw dishes. Specific salts, oils, butters, raw vinegars, sauces et cetera would be appreciated. Much love.

Comments

• Hi Bluedragon …

I’m fairly new too but have dived wholeheartedly into it and i will list for you what I have found that’s needed… I’ve made lots of recipes from Alissa Cohen’s book and quite a few from this website and others… So…

Salts: Nama Shoyu or Braggs Liquid Amino’s, Pink Himalayan Salt

Oils: Anything Extra Virgin is not cooked or heated… so flavour is the next thing to consider… I luv EV Olive Oil…. today i bought E.V. Flax(Linseed) Oil.. this has a different flavor as so is useful in different recipes…

Butters: I am still looking for brands here in Australia that are Raw… so i make my own Almond Butter… I have an Angel Juicer which is also an homogeniser and makes butters really well so i can use any nut to create that.. it is time consuming but worth the end result and my health…

Raw Vinegars: Apple Cider Vinegar is the best to get.. as this is incredibly healthful for you…

Sauces:Make your own Mayonnaise (there are plenty of recipes in the forum here)...Tomatoes are great in the food processor with a variety of flavours depending on what you prefer…

Sweeteners: Raw Honey (do your homework and find a local Genuinely Raw brand)... Agave Syrup (i just bought some today even tho i havent tried it yet so i dont know what the flavour is and what i would like to put it in… Dates are used a lot to sweeten things but with that comes texture and color ofcourse, so these are considerations in constructing a recipe…

Staples: NUTS you like… cashews, macadamia, almonds (of course), pine nuts, brazil and others that you like… SEEDS you like… sunflower seeds, buckwheat, wheat, barley, fenugreek… You sprout all of these things and use them in a variety of ways… LEMONS, GARLIC, GINGER, SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER… are common ingredients in many recipes

Equipment: VitaMix (i currently use a normal blender and have had no problems, but when it gives up i am going to get the commercial version of the VitaMix as this will work hard and last long…), A strong Food Processor, A really good Juicer…, Dehydrator (Excalibur is the best), Citrus Juicer, Measure Cups and Spoons… I buy Snaplock Bags and keep all the nuts, seeds, half pieces of onions etc., leftover olives… etc.. I find them really helpful whilst im still finding my rhythm with everything… Glass Jars… are my first preference but im still collecting them to use for storage (i have a labelling gun so i can remember what’s what!!!! :)

A NOTE ON PATTERNS THAT I HAVE DISCOVERED… I am a Sweet Tooth so i have researched to find some sweet recipes so that i have things i can have when i need something sweet and because i’ve done this it has been really easy so far… I am also working on compiling my list of recipes that satisfy my need for the sort of foods that i luv to eat… like crunchy crackers with dip etc… So I strongly suggest you give thought to your recent ‘cooked’ patterns and work each day at recipes in advance so you set yourself up to Succeed and not to Fail…

Anyway.. I hope that helps you… I have been overweight all my life and I havent craved anything so far so I am really happy… Keep Smilin’ :)

• Thanks! That’s a great reference! Love glass jars! Keep on the good vibes!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey bluedragon! I second the glass jars idea – I bought a case of quart size mason jars from the five and dime and use them to store teas, nutmilks and to drink giant smoothies!

I would add chia or hemp seeds (great for omega 3 and protein), hemp oil, extra virgin coconut oil, and you can research superfoods like goji berries, cacao, maca, mesquite which many health foods carry and you can order online.

I would also recommend a Vitamix, it’s well worth the investment.

Also tons of lemons and limes!