Garden-less and Date-deprived

Where in the world can you get fresh dates? They’re seriously like phantom-fruit; the sweet vegetative incarnates of Houdini. They’re like the mermaids of mythological folklore; legendary in their supposed existence. No grocery store I have been to; regular or organic, big or small; have had fresh dates. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for them, and I’ve been looking for a while. I don’t know if perhaps I’d have better luck in finding them at an outdoor market? But dates should be available in SOME grocery stores, right? Even if it’s just a small amount, placed amongst the kiwi and kiwanos? Is there a more propitious time of year to look for these little suckers?

And I was wondering about at-home gardens. I’d like to be able to grow some of my own vegetables and fruit. My space is limited, so, are there any vegetables and fruits that would prosper as in-door plants? Or perhaps in large pots that could be placed around out-doors? I have a front yard area that could be used for this as well, but it’s not extravagant. Any knowledge on the options available to me would be great, I’d appreciate it a lot!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

PersonPerson~ Check out these threads about gardening:

Happy growing.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

concerning the gardening , ide grow the small type cherry tomatos in pots 5 gallon size . give them something to grow upwards on so they dont grow out of and all around the pot and become sort of a mess . here in the spring alot of people buy small evergreen trees and such from nurserys in those black plastic 5 gallon or near pots that you could get out of the garbage for nothing when they throw them out . ide also grow romaine lettuce in pots because it grows upward instead of leafing outwardly so thusly can cram more plants in a small area such as a romaine head about every 6” square inches . if you like fresh basil you could grow alot of it in a pot , and the taste to me is well worth it because of how much better it makes salad dressings . ide go to www.organicgardening.com and www.motherearthnews.com for ideas on it . oh you could also grow sprouts in dirt in pots like micro greens , beans , sun seeds . plant the beans (mung is a favorite of most) and sun seeds like every half inch then when theyre about 4 inches pull and eat root and all , then start another batch . and a good thing to add to soil in pots is some straw because it keeps soil from becoming to compacted / hard which is bad because its harder for the roots to grow in hard soil which makes for a less vital / productive plant . goodluck :-)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

michigan roman – great ideas, thanks!

• Thank you so very much, Bluedolfin and michigan roman, for all the helpful tips!