Solar-Powered Dehydrator

Hi all, I have begun working on a solar-powered dehydrator. No electricity needed, and I am planning it so that it works best when outside, no matter what the weather is. You can use it in rain, snow, or sunny weather. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you think!! I would love to hear what you think. :)

Comments

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I think this would be awesome. I’ve contemplated this a bit myself. I once built a solar oven, but being in Vermont didn’t realise yet I needed a heat sink oven. I foil lined a medium-smallish box I had cut at an angle and put glass on top. It didn’t get hot enough to cook. Now that I’m raw I’ve contemplated if it would be enough to dry with, unfortunatly I’ve just moved and no longer have it. The issue I see is keeping everything from getting in while allowing the moisture out. Would rice work as a dessicant? It works as such in my salt shakers. I still use my car dashboard on sunny days as a dehydrator, too.

• jsorensens2jsorensens2 Raw Jr. Superstar

Krystale – hey great idea to use the car dashboard! I live in sunny southern california so we have plenty of sun to warrant dehydrating outside, but I’ve been worried about bugs and ants getting to it, even with a mesh covering. The car is a great idea!

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Your car will always smell good. My car smells like basil and orange peel. Just for the detail oriented a thermometer would be handy, because it can get really really hot in a car. On really hot days a black plate or pan or screen on the hood or trunk works too for not so moist things like herbs because you can invert a glass baking dish over them to protect it. Or a bell jar if you like old fashioned stuff. If you see much condensation on the inside of the glass just wipe it out.