SOAKING vs. SPROUTING

Alright, maybe it’s just the vocabulary that is confusing me but I need a little clarification: I’ll use buckwheat as an example. At the healthfood store I shop at they sell “sprouting buckwheat,” and then they just sell “buckwheat” – both in the bulk section. To my understanding, the “sprouting buckwheat” has not been “hulled” and the regular BW has been. So my question is – Can you still soak the “hulled” BW and eat it uncooked? In that case it wouldn’t be called “sprouted buckwheat,” would it? What would it be called? Furthermore, any grain and/or seed that it to be used for sprouting must be UN-hulled… otherwise it will not produce the green sprouts. Am I on the right track? THANKS IN ADVACE!

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

not sure but would love to know the answer to the hulled vs. unhulled part of this.

soaked buckwheat would simply make it soft. it would be great for a recipe, but it wouldn’t be “sprouted” since no tail appears. neither would soaked seeds. you have to wait a little while before they grow tails… then it would be “sprouted.” in phase one (soaking) the enzyme inhibitors release, so soaking is a good habit to get into. phase two (sprouting) makes them more potent nutritionally.

• So in other words, it’s still nutritious and worthwile to use consume buckwheat groats that have only been soaked? I really hope so because I just soaked like 5 cups worth and I plan on making some type of porridge. Furthermore, I’ve also been reading about the toxicity of Fagopyrum in buckwheat sprouts… Is it only in the green sprouts, or what?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i wish someone else would come to rescue here because i am SO SO not scientifically minded. as long as they are raw, i’d say ENJOY!

anyone else???

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

From what I’ve read about buckwheat, it’s the greens you have to worry about. People mostly run into problems when they’ve been juicing large quantities of buckwheat sprouts. But, I think that soaking shouldn’t be a problem, and even sprouting should be find provided you don’t grow big green sprouts and you don’t juice a ton of them. But hey, if you start noticing some sensitivity to light, at least you’ll know what to suspect!

Sorry, no clue about the hulled/sprouting thing… but I think unhulled (i.e., complete?) buckwheat is a darker color? Can someone back that up? And the hull would be shed as the sprout pushes its way through, whereas if you weren’t sprouting the buckwheat, you’d want the hull mechanically removed (or however they do it). Just a guess!