My first Master Cleanse...

KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Though I have been vegan for the greater part of 5 years, I’m the kind of vegan who bakes a vegan cake and eats half of it at once. Anyway, I was 100% raw for a while last year and raw for a month or so this year, but fell off the bandwagon eventually both times. Both of the periods where I were raw were the happiest and healthiest I have ever been, I just can’t seem to make it stick. I really want to try to make a permanent positive change in my life, so I decided to do a Master Cleanse and then transition from that back into a 100% raw diet.

The only problem is, I have never even gone a full day without eating in my whole life and I don’t know if I’ll last for 10. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions? Today is my first day, and I’ve successfully made it through all of my regular mealtimes. Also, I have heard that senna can be harmful to your health so I don’t want to drink the laxative tea. If I just do the lemonade drink will it be effective?

Comments

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

KelleyS.. good luck! you really can do it! I used the senna tea and had no trouble with it. In fact I”m starting a juice fast monday and plan to use it as well. Suggestions would be: if you are really into routines (like I am) you have to come up with new “routines” for during your cleanse. For me, I usually come right in from work at 6 and start on dinner.. then eat. So I started to come right home at 6, grab my clothes and go sit in the sauna’s gym, then come home and take a long bath. That got me out of my dinner routine. The weekend was hard because my husband and I usually have meals together but I just stayed upstairs, away from the kitchen and read in bed. Don’t pressure yourself to do all the things you normally do (if you work out and such). I’m a runner but ran maybe twice during the cleanse, went on a few walks but nothing hard. I also choose about three books and a tv show (old episodes of friday night lights online) as a “treat” to watch/read when I was hungry. Good luck!

• rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

Hi Kelley! I highly recommend doing the MC to transition to a raw foods diet. I did a 13 day fast and lost 10 pounds, and then kept it all off as long as I stayed raw. As far as getting through the fast, it is hard at times. I wrote the number of days left on my calendar…you just have be determined to get through it. I said to myself “This is only 10 days out of my entire life—I am going to have thousands of days to eat after these mere 10 days of not!” And read lots of books and watch lots of movies. I watched the first two complete seasons on the x-files! I do think the Senna tea is very important—it really “cleans” you out in the morning. It’s only harmful if you drink it every day LONG TERM, but for 10 days you’ll be just fine. Also, buy Peter Glickman’s book on the MC if you haven’t…..there are TONS of testimonials of people in there on the fast, and that’s really what got me through it, reading other people’s experiences. You CAN do it, I promise! Good luck!

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

Thank y’all so much for the insight and encouragement! Day 3 of my cleanse is winding down, and it has been going well. That mental desire for food that has been a little difficult, but I’m not experiencing uncomfortable hunger anymore so that makes it a lot easier. I even made my roommate dinner tonight because I miss preparing food (one of my favorite things to do) and I wasn’t even tempted to eat it! Anyway, I ended up getting the senna tea yesterday. I figure it’s not that big of a deal if I just didn’t use it the first day.

• Hello Kelley, I am doing the MC right now too. This is my first time! I am on day 7, I was only raw for a couple of months before now. I want to be 90-100% so I decided to try this clease thing out. So far I love it. I cooked for my family for the first time today since I started the cleanse. I had no desire to cheat-of course I am motivated by the fact that I could get really sick by not breaking the fast properly.

Hang in there it does get easier as the days go by.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

Today has been the worst day yet. The not eating part isn’t bad, but I’ve felt really low-energy all day. I had to take a nap and I haven’t been able to concentrate on my schoolwork… any suggestions?