Could salads lead to constipation?

I am doing a transition from cooked vegan to raw vegan. Breakfast is usually fruit. Before my lunch and dinner are a combination of brown rice plus cooked vegetables. Recently I change to brown rice plus salads. My salad includes lots of leafy greens(lettuce, spinach… ) cucumber, avocado, celery, walnut,carrots, onions… The dressing is lemon juice + olive oil.

Sometimes I do salads only with brown rice. Sometimes I do salads plus cooked vegs plus brown rice. It happens that whenever I do salads only, I will constipate and have lots of gas the next day. Apparently I cannot digest and assimilate vegetables raw.

This is opposite to what I’ve read. How can it be? I am very confused.

Comments

• I don’t know, maybe it’s the rice if it’s cooked? I’ve found the more salad / fruit I eat, the more I, um, go. Shockingly so, at times. But then everyone is different.

Did you have any digestive issues previously?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

can you juice or blend your greens rather than eat them raw? it has helped me a lot.

also i have heard that cooked and raw together can cause gas. i have had less bloating and gas since raw.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I have a bit of trouble digesting salads too. That’s why I don’t eat them anymore unless I am absolutely starving because I don’t get that great of a feeling after I eat them. I’d almost rather eat a piece of bread, but I wouldn’t do that either. I would asume if you want greens you should do a green smoothie, though I know salads taste good and I don’t even eat green smoothies.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Cooked and raw together can lead to gas? Wow, that is new to me. I guess that could be true because raw digests faster than cooked (I assume)... and thus, the digested salad sits there with the cooked food while the cooked food is being digested.

Which may explain why its good to eat your raw food first… to digest it… its “first in line”... then eat your cooked.