Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Brushing teeth

What do any of you use to brush your teeth. I have been using Colgate but heard I shouldn’t be. any suggestions??

Comments

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Moist toothbrush and baking soda. My father’s a dental technician and this is what he uses and tries to make everyone else use.

• currently i’m using Weleda’s Ratanhia Toothpaste. i’ve also used Dr. Sheffield’s Tooth White (Natural Bleaching and Tooth Whitener). And Tom’s.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I use baking soda.

• thanks for your suggestions. I have been told that you shouldn’t use baking soda everyday because it puts scratches on your teeth and some other reason’s. Can using baking soda to brush your teeth twice a day be harmful to your health? I am wanting to switch to something different for my entire family but want to make sure it is safe!!Can anybody recommend what to use on your toddlers teeth?

• I’ve been using Trader Joe’s natural toothpaste, the fennel stuff. In the past I’ve mixed salt, baking soda, and a drop or two of peroxide. I’ve heard of people even brushing their teeth with coconut oil though. I’m curious to try it.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I was wondering about the baking soda thing also. I’m realigning my teeth now, so I have to brush them every time I eat. Apparently glycerin prevents the enamel from re-mineralizing. Since glycerin is in every single toothpaste – natural or not, that pretty much leaves one with few options. Maybe it’s best just to brush without any toothpaste and just use baking soda once per day?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i started using salt for no rhyme of reason and i really like it. i also use sea salt for my bathtub and to rinse my hair. what a great all-purpose condiment! =)

krystale—i too would like to know if baking soda is safe to use everyday.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I brush after each meal and snacks but only use baking soda before going to bed… Sometimes I mix it with himalayan salt too…

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Last year I switched to using Tooth Soap from www.drbenkim.com because what he wrote about brushing with toothpaste and fluoride really made sense to me. Over the years I had heard from a few people how bad fluoride is for you and I remember thinking “Duh then why is it in toothpaste” and shook it off. Well now I think “DUH you should have listened sooner dipstick!”

Anyway :) I digress. Before switching to tooth soap I had some serious concerns for my teeth. Tons of pain, couldn’t even chew on the right side of my mouth. Really bad sensitive teeth. Now I go to the dentist for a cleaning and I have to say I’m done before I sat down. Your teeth do get stronger thanks to the change, but you need to eat a lot of greens to give your body the raw (pun intended) materials to remineralize.

My Mom’s teeth started needing to be pulled out when she was in her 30s. I did not want that to happen to me!

The only thing that I do not like about tooth soap has to do with the necessary lack of glycerin. Without that, your teeth stain. What you eat shows! So every week or two I brush with baking soda to remove some stains.

Tooth soap works, try it.

• I have been using Weleda’s Salt Toothpaste for several months and really like it.

• i also use weleda’s salt toothpaste

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I previously used Tom’s or Jasn’s toothpaste, but recently switched to tooth soap. In addition to brushing your teeth, if you have a dental hygentist, that really knows how to clean teeth because so many don’t, clean your teeth at least twice a year, you are doing something really smart.

Once bacteria gets under your gumline, after it is in your teeth, it becomes systemic and ends up in your blood supply. There were studies done many years ago showing a correlation between gum disease and future heart attacks. The reason is the inflammation from the gum disease manifests in the blood supply and then travels to other parts of the body, like the heart, where it can trigger a heart attack. Bacteria in the gums will increase inflammation all through your body. In a time wehre auto-immune disseases are so rampant, it is very important to have your teeth professionally cleaned if you can.

Also, any surgeon that is worth their salt will check the inside of your mouth before you are cleared for surgery. If you have inflammed gums, most will require you to finish treatment to your gums before they will perform any kind of surgery. The reason for this is that they know the presence of bacteria in your blod will make it difficult for you to properly heal.

Meditating, how do you find a good dental hygienist?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I moved to a new city almost 8 years ago. I went to a dentist who told me he did not want his staff to clean my teeth because they were so neglected and had not been cleaned in so long. I explained to him that I had my teeth cleaned every six months prior to that. He told me it was not unusual to see people in my condition because so many hygienists did a poor job and the dentist did not properly check my teeth afterwards. This is why I believe this is true. He told me if my gum disease could not be reversed, he believed that he would have to pull 7 of my teeth, but would not even do that until a peridontist had treated me. I could not believe this. I had done what I was suppose to and paid these jokers and now I might lose 7 teeth because they could not do their jobs properly.

He referred me to a periodontist. They specialize in gum disease. Generally speaking, their hygienist know how to clean teeth because getting the teeth clean is critical for a patient to recover from gum disease. I initially had to have a deep-scaling done. Not pleasant. I can’t tell you how different my mouth felt after the healing was complete. I realized from the difference in how firm my teeth felt in the gumline and some other sensations that my teeth had never been properly cleaned. When you have your teeth cleaned at a periodontist office, a periodontist checks you aftewards, not a dentist. A periodontist has much higher standards.

I ended up having one back tooth pulled and all my other teeth were saved. Once you have a proper cleaning, you will come to know the difference between a good hygeinist and a bad one. I can really feel a big difference after each cleaning. It is hard to explain how it feels, but my gums felt strong and tight and my teeth felt stronger. They had never felt that way before.

I don’t think you can rely on any hygienist working for a periodontist to do a good job. One day a hygienist there did my teeth and I went to the administrator and said I was not pleased. I could tell when she finished she had not done a good job. Whenever they scrape plaque from under your gumline, there is some brief discomfort or at least a difference in the sensation of your mouth. I had none after her cleaning. There was no way I had no plaque accumulation for 4 months. (I test high on all types of inflammation markers so I have my teeth cleaned every 4 months without failure since it is one of the best ways to control inflammation.) Like I said, once you have your teeth properly cleaned, you will know when someone isn’t doing it right. The administrator told me that particular hygienist usually worked on their mentally disabled or elderly patients who were unable to sit for an agressive cleaning. They had another hygienist clean my teeth that next day.

Having been told I might lose 7 teeth at age 39 I learned to always ask for an agressive cleaning when I go in. My doctor’s office has now assigned a particular hygenist to do all my cleanings. An agressive cleaning may hurt a little more initially, but only for a brief period. This is especially true the first time you have one; but you will feel a big difference in a few days. I compare it to getting a deep tissue massage or a an aerrobic workout for my teeth. After the tenderness wears off, which now usually lasts about 2 hours, my teeth feel stronger and healthier and I love that feeling. If I keep this treatment up, I don’t believe I will ever lose my teeth unless I have some trauma to my mouth.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

This topic has inspired me to get a cleaning done. I have naturally great teeth and haven’t had a cavity since my teens, but the last time I went for a cleaning I had a butcher for a hygienist, so it put me off for a long time (two years!!). Now I have one particular spot that is often red and inflamed and bleeds easily. Thanks for the info, Meditating. I also have some inflamation markers and auto-immune, so I’ll get them cleaned.

• One of the most important things you can do for your teeth, besides getting a regular cleaning, is flossing. Every day.

I don’t know about using abrasive products like baking soda or salt. From what I understand, it leaves microscopic scratches on the enamel, which predisposes you to more staining and plaque accumulation.

• I use toothsoap, it’s better then all the other choices but its something I don’t like about it. I haven’t figured it out yet.

Has anyone used this product (ionic toothbrush SOLADEY)

http://soladey-usa.com/index.php?option=com_fro…

I’ve thought about toothsoap, but heard some people saying that they felt toothsoap was irritating their gums. Then if baking soda scratches and glycerin prevents re-mineralization of the enamel, then what is one to do?

Ardesmond2, the ionic toothbrush looks quite interesting. Thanks!

Meditating, thanks for the info. I’m going to go track down a proper hygienist now as I’m do for a cleaning.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I have weak teeth. That’s where the greens come in. Not only from their fibers brushing my teeth, but the vitamin and mineral content, my teeth feel much stronger than they used to be and whiter. I am going to quit brushing with a toothbrush, chew vegetable fibers, rub on the oil, and leave it at that. The point of toothbrushes and paste is to scrub off plaque and kill germs. But brushes damage teeth and gums, and toothpastes GENERALLY have poison. After this “natural” tube is done I’m not buying it anymore.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I have weak teeth. That’s where the greens come in. Not only from their fibers brushing my teeth, but the vitamin and mineral content, my teeth feel much stronger than they used to be and whiter. I am going to quit brushing with a toothbrush, chew vegetable fibers, rub on the oil, and leave it at that. The point of toothbrushes and paste is to scrub off plaque and kill germs. But brushes damage teeth and gums, and toothpastes GENERALLY have poison. After this “natural” tube is done I’m not buying it anymore.