Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eating ALL organic?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I have been eating all organic lately, and this means no pineapple and not even melons. Whole Foods doesn’t have much organic variety I’ve noticed. Will I EVER be able to get an organic melon of any type?! I am not willing to risk the poison sprayed on the food, but was wondering what other people do, if it really is as bad as my mind is making it out to be…

How organically do you eat with RAW?

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Like I doubt I will ever find a papaya organically grown in New England. Makes me want to move to a warmer climate.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I now eat all organic. I figure since I’m making so much of an effort to be healthy by eating raw, I’d better make sure I’m not ingesting any pesticides. I will no longer eat anything that’s not organic. I live in NY State, and I can purchase organic melons, pineapple, papaya, mangos, kiwi, oranges, tangerines, pears, etc. Perhaps you can try calling stores within an hour of you, and asking what organic stuff they carry (if you have a car). or ask your grocery store to carry it.

I asked the organic question on another forum, and I got a very convincing answer:

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/forum/topic/show?i…

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

everything organic except for 2 haberno peppers a week.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

since i am trying not to go broke, occaisionally i will get a lemon that is not organic. or bananas if the organic ones are not ripe. not ideal.

since melons are not in season right now in the north chances are pretty slim that they are organic. i find the most luck at the farmer’s market for cheaper, organic produce.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

All organic with the only exception being lemons. I can get them organic when I go to Whole Paycheck, but I’ve been doing much better for produce at my local Fresh Market. Can we all gag at the price of organic frozen berries this week!!!!! My little blueberry bag went from $3.49 to over $5!!!!!!!!!!!:D Gasp! I think I’m going to buy a blueberry bush, stick it in a pot with my fab. compost and see what happens. I think the whole bush is $6.

• I’m on a very tight budget and buying everything organic would leave me broke.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Unfortunately it’s probalby less than half organic through the winter. (long one here!) But in the summer I will have my own garden so that will help immensly and selection of produce at the stores gets better. For me it’s not a money thing, it’s an availability thing!

• I wish I could eat all organic! Although I wouldn’t be eating very much considering what is available to me where I live in northern Norway. I am happy if I can find a melon… huff.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Can anyone direct me to a link that lists all the different types of fruit and their appropriate seasons?

I didn’t used to eat all organic due to the cost…but lately I was thinking I’d vote with my dollar, since conventional produce just kinda scares me, to be honest. I’d like to feel 100% good about what I put into my body. And maybe if more people purchase organic the price will go down. If it means I can’t eat as much food as I used to, then so be it. I just feel better about it.

It’s definitely going to be easier with spring and summer. This winter I ate a lot of conventional and didn’t feel too great about it.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

there’s many, Moth. You want one for your general area. If you search seasonal eating and charts for your state, you should come up with many that you can print out and keep with you. Start at www.sustainablescoop.com. If you scroll down to about the 3rd paragraph, there is a link.