Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

hypoglycemic

Can I still juice feast?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hia Stickybumps, I’d like to answer your question but it would help to know a little more about you?

Like for instance:

What do you eat now?

What are your reasons for juice fasting?

Are you on any medication?

How long have you been raw?

• I’ve heard that people with sugar issues like hypoglycemia would do better with vegetable juices, rather than fruit. Also that after awhile on this diet the hypoglycemia will stop being a problem. ??

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Cherre – Gabriel Cousens has wonderful books with information on this issue specifically. Conscious eating, for example, is a good book. Lots of folks have candida problems.

• Zoe- I eat pretty terribly. I’m living with a family in England, so I don’t have much control over what I eat; however, I am going home soon, and want to go raw. I thought juice feasting would be a good way to detox. I have been prescribed medication for my thryroid which I quit taking a few weeks ago. I am just taking a few kelp supplements a day.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Where in England are you? I’m in the North West in between Liverpool and Manchester. If you live nearby please come and visit us!! Our potluck is on 17th May.

I reckon that you would know if it wasn’t right for you. If you try it and start to feel dizzy then it would be an idea to include a few sweet fruits and non sweet fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers and red peppers.

If I were you I’d ease myself into it by just eating sweet and non sweet fruit and having some juice too, then reducing the solid fruit, going for as long as you feel comfortable on just juice, and then easing out of it by including solid fruit again. Like Cherre says, maybe focusing on non sweet fruit and vegetables, with minimal sweet fruits would be the best way to do this. Let us know how it goes.

How do you feel now that you quit your medication? Does the kelp work?

• Zoe, I’m in Norfolk, or I would love to join your potluck.

I feel basically the same as I did on my medication, but I think my meds were a bit too low anyway. It’s hard to say, as I am eating really poorly and I am very affected by sugars and carbs. I’m about 15lbs heavier than my natural weight, which is another reason I was wanting to juice feast. Would I be better off doing a master cleanse?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Gabriel Cousens recommends extended juice feasting (green juices, no fruit) and uses spirulina and other stuff to get enough protein and help balance blood sugar. The master cleanse can really mess with blood sugar issues because of the maple syrup.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Stickybumps23,

I am hypoglycemic also (although I don’t feel so since eating raw)...my naturopath suggested that juice fasting is just fine for me as long as I stick with greens and not load up on fruits. I have fasted for 3 days without any blood sugar crashing at all. She also mentioned that the master cleanse is not so good for hypoglocemics (nor is it raw).

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic in 1999. It’s been a constant struggle to get things under control. The diagnosis forced me to think about food and diet for the first time in my life. I absolutely hate it!

I have done a 3 day juice fast without incident but I haven’t attempted one since getting involved with the raw diet. I agree with Kandace on the fruits, they’re real triggers for hypoglycemics!

• Thanks, everyone, for the input!

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

Sticky – Try sticking to foods with a low glycemic index. They take longer for the sugar to absorb in your blood, and longer to lower your glucose levels afterwards. Vegis have an overall lower g.i. than most fruits, definitaly. I’m glad I checked into this again because I’ve been trying to juice for full days but I’m having trouble not getting headaches and I think this’ll help. Check this site for a list of different foods (fruits are towards the top, vegis at the bottom): http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoo…

• suryadaya, very helpful link. Thanks!