Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bought vita-mix blender, need reassurance

I just bought a vita-mix blender. It was painfully pricey. I usually don’t need reassurance or affirmation about what I do, but I feel a little nervous about this purchase. I plan to do a green smoothie feast/fast in a couple of weeks. Is it really better than a regular blender? Do you find it worth the cost?

Comments

• hi blizzful7

it’s completely worth it it does things other blenders only dream of :)

in few words you’ll enjoy it for many years to come

and find many uses besides whole juice

u can make LOTS of things in a vitamixer and clean up is a breeze plus it lasts forever

enjoy it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

The VitaMix supposedly breaks it the smoothie down to a certain size (forgot what that is) that makes it more absorbable by the body. It is great for creamy foods… cheezecakes… ice creams… nut butters… nut milks… get more milk and less pulp than a blender.

• Thank you. I feel more at ease now. I bought the regular 5200 model. Has anyone made their own nut betters with it?

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

You have made a great investment, don’t worry. I too cringed at the price and what my husband was going to think, but I use it at least twice a day, every single day, if not more. I haven’t made nut butters, but smoothies, whipped cream, salad dressings, tomato sauce, ground flax seed, puddings. I don’t know what I would do without it.

• Thanks again. I feel much better about it now. My health is so important to me. With the $600 refund check US citizens are getting, I can humorously say that the US government is helping me get off of its own SAD diet. Ha! Plus, tomorrow’s my birthday. I’ll be 31 and just got asked if I was buying a youth ticket at the movie theater. Smile.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Happy birthday! You’re going to enjoy the vitamix so much. Even though I’d budgeted for a full year, I still felt guilty after I bought mine. But it really is amazing, and I came to depend on it so quickly. Now when I use any other kind of blender I am totally amazed that I ever lived without the Vitamix. The difference is incredible. Be sure to try out your old blender after a few months if you think you’re starting to take the Vitamix for granted!

I had been hesitating to make nut butters because I used to hate trying to scrape sticky stuff off the bottom – I could never get under the blades, and I found it so irritating. But since I started using an offset spatula for that (which works perfectly to get in all the nooks and crannies—highly recommended!), I’ve been experimenting much more with heavier things, and I recently did a macadamia nut butter that turned out incredible. Have fun!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have a question: we are considering a model that is cheaper with no warranty. Has anyone used the warranty?

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Either K-Tec (Blend-Tec) or Vitamix are well worth it.

I’m of the K-Tec religion ;-). I have friends who just ‘upgraded’ from the Vitamix to the K-Tec and they are in heaven. The K-Tec is more powerful, easier to use, fits under the cabinets. There are just as many who prefer the Vitamix.

Whichever one you have, they are terrific. You will not regret the investment.

Happy Birthday!

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Ironically I bought my Vita Mix and my Solostar juicer at the same time and I generally prefer to use my juicer whenever possible. The Vita Mix is very powerful and great for grinding heavy things but it’s a real pain to collect all the contents from the container. It is a worthy investment but I only use it when I have to!

• my blendtec is on order and i am waiting quite impatiently to get it! today the seal on my stupid kitchenaid blender wasn’t working and i got green smoothie everywhere. yesterday i ended up chewing spinach for breakfast (not good when covered in a “dressing” of half blended strawberries and banana). i cannot wait for a better blender! i have huge dreams of ice cream and soup….

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

We got a Vita-Mix recently, and LOVE it!

bitt – I am more willing to put the machine to the test knowing I have a warranty and seven years to see what the thing can do without breaking down :)

Macadamia butter! So awesome :)

• Check this site out…. click on MASTER LEVEL BLENDING on the side panel.. a lot of interesting information on good blender vs bad blender and how you might be being deceived by the so call horse power your blender has.

http://blindguru.com/

• that is the most overwhelming site i have ever been to! not that it’s bad…just…wow, so much information and very scientific.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

lalala – i went to the site and thought the same thing, hehe.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I guess my question would be…how much horsepower does one really need in the kitchen? lol.

• Winona – good, at least it wasn’t just me! i’m an engineer and still didn’t get most of it!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

So, have you tried it out yet?

• SueSue Raw Newbie

blizzful, just thought I’d add my 2 cents. I have had my vitamix for years, even before I started eating raw. It out-performs any regular blender on the market by far (with the exception of other expensive high speed blender’s which I can’t comment on because I have never owned.) I use it twice a day at least. Best healthy investment I ever made.

• Hi blizzful,

I think you made a good decision, the vitamix 5000 is the best one, I have owned both the 5000 and the blendtec total blender. ** One important tip I learned though is that Vitamix does permanent “road shows” at every Costco location, they basically just switch off between different locations within the city, so at any point in time if you call them all up one store is usually selling them. If you buy it at Costco it is 50 bucks cheaper than on the web site, which basically pays for the membership (I didn’t have one before I bought the blender) Then you’ll be saving hundreds of dollars potentially if you use the membership to stock up on frozen fruit, etc. Because you’re still technically buying it from Vitamix you still get the warranty and all of that. Also, just to help you with your “assurance”, I wrote an article about why the vitamix will pay for itself in under a year.