Color of Watermelon - HELP!-

My mum picked up a watermelon the other day. When I cut it open, it was SO red that it looks like bloody red meat. Is this natural? I didn’t know if maybe it was crossed with another fruit that made it more attractive to buyers…or maybe if it’s a GMO?

Please, if anyone knows anything about it, that’d be great ‘cause I couldn’t find anything online. Thanks!

Comments

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Some watermelons are VERY red inside. It depends on how they have been bred. I couldn’t say wether it would be GM or if it is just natural cross-breeding. I’m dying to try a Yellow one. They are supposed to be very tasty.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Oh wow, the yellow kind is so good!Plus it’s really cool. I mean, it’s a watermelon. And it’s yellow!!! It’s really a pretty color…oh, and I’m sorry I don’t really know anything about the whole too red watermelon thing. I’m thinking it’s ok, but idk?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Is it seedless? Does it have mature seeds? ...or at least plenty of them?

(It’s probably okay if they do have mature seeds… guessing)

• It does have seeds, but the premature ones. They are pretty white and flimsy. Also, around them the watermelon is super soft, almost like a tomato…

I’ve never heard of a yellow watermelon…makes me want a cantalope now. :)

Here is where I learned abut the mature/immature seeds. It’s in the video about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way into the video… so you can just “fast forward” to that section… you should see a watermelon.

I think fruit should have good mature seeds.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, this is really interesting. I didn’t know watermelons were supposed to have mature seeds…

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Is it over ripe?

• It might be. I’m not sure. It’s the first watermelon I ran across that is that red. I must’ve over reacted. lol.

I didn’t know about mature seed either. Crazy!

Well, I would think seedless fruit or fruit with many immature seeds is not the best… because it will not have seeds to…ummm, reproduce? another fruit tree. Just doesn’t seem natural. IMHO.

And one of the raw food lectures I attended… I heard that such fruits have less nutrition. (I don’t have any references, though, so correct me if I’m wrong.)

As southernlover said, it could be overripe… good point.