Any substitute for popcorn??

rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

My husband had been making buttered popcorn in the evenings on weekends. It kills me because I have always been soooo addicted to it, especially the butter and salt. And he pops it the old fashioned way in a big pot and uses coconut oil so it’s super rich. I’m doomed!!

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I’ve heard (but yet to try) that you can use small bite sized pieces of cauliflower – toss with oil and salt and pepper and then dehydrate (not sure how long). I hope this helps you out!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m thinking that almond meal (from almond milk) mixed with a small amount of ground flax to bind and a splash of water spread on Teflex sheet and dehydrated until crisp, then break up and add a little coconut or olive oil and salt and it might be close. The dehydrated almond meal by itself has that light, airy feel of popcorn, but it doesn’t retain its shape when it is in little clumps. This is a guess as I haven’t made this.

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Great ideas. I’m getting a dehydrator for mom’s day…i’m so excited! so i’ll have the opportunity to try out both of these ideas. Thanks!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I too was a popcorn addict, I was happy with air popped even!! I tried taking fresh corn and soaking it in salted water and then dehydrating it. It was pretty good, however, you’d have to use about 10 ears after it shrinks from being dehydrated to get anywhere!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

We had a popcorn maker when we were macrobiotic and really enjoyed large bowls covered in rice syrup. I think I may have had it when transitioning to raw as well. The cauliflower idea sounds good. I don’t think there is a substitute raw food for it really. It would be good if we could come up with something here.