Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fasting for weight loss

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

So I’m on a water fast right now to try and lose a few pounds. I’m only on the fast for 3-5 days, but I’m worried about gaining back all the weight I lose on the fast and then some. The last thing I want to do is get heavier!

Does anyone know any good ways to keep the weight off? I’ve heard people say it will stay off and I’ve heard people say it will just come back with a few extra pounds in tow.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Well, a water fast… isn’t that just a way of eliminating! So really, you are just losing waste weight. Of course, it will come back once you start eating again.

Are you raw? Or vegan? Or eating little or no processed foods? That will help. But exercise will too. I know someone who is 50-75% raw and she’s not anywhere near slim. Just depends on the body, what you’re eating, and how you’re digesting.

• Hi Slosh-uh,

Shazzie says in her book Detox your world that you should break the fast with fruit. She normally eats a melon. Other people eat only apples.

Please could you kindly give me more information about fasting with water? I have been trying to search on internet but I only found the benefits of it.

How many litres of water do you drink a day? Can I use normal water (the water that you buy in the supermarket)? How often do you drink the water?

Many thanks in advance.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Persoanlly, I don’t think fasts should be done with the goal of weight loss. They are meant for detoxing and giving your body a break from digesting, so it can use that energy for healing. I have done them in the past with the weight loss goal, and it didn’t feel wholly healthy to be doing it for that reason. I felt kinda like I was being obsessive!

Btw, by your pic, you really don’t look like you have anything to worry about weight wise!!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Hmmm, that wasn’t much help was it? Now that I am done wagging my finger at you, here is some advice. Do a juice fast. I have done this before. I drank fruit juice only in the am. and veg for the rest of the day. Every two hours I would have a juice, and inbetween the juices I would have a galss of water. So, I would be drinking somthing every hour. Man, you just glow on this sort of fast from all the nutrients you flood your system with!! Make sure you have some sort of fber, I use psellyum (sp?) husks powder. This will help clean out your pipes!! About a tsp in one or two of your juices. Make sure to drink lot’s of water when you take the powder!!!!!!!

Hope this helps. The advice is a little late in coming due to the site acting demented for the last while!! Hope it helps for next time as you are probably done your water fast by now!!

• Hi Slosh-uh,

I recently lost a lot of weight going raw. One thing that helped me was an iodine supplement. I lost another 15 lbs pretty quickly once I added that to water. I also did a water fast recently. I also added some supplements to the water to help. Depending how you do it I think that you can actually lose weight and not gain it back immediately. The theory I think about is that if you have toxins to eliminate and you provide yourself with enough nutrients and chelators that your body will be able to eliminate them at that point. Also try to break your fast without eating fruit for a more dramatic effect. Go for cucumber soup or something like that. I feel like fruit is great for some people but if you are concerned about bloating or have had a feeling of uneasiness then you may be feeling some candida and or need more probiotics. If you have made the effort to fast you should not supply possible candida with fuel like fruit for a while. I hope this helps..=)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I lost 10 lbs fasting. I read that half of that would come back because it is just water weight. So, I had my body fat tested before and after. I lost 5 lbs. of fat and 5 lbs. of lean body mass (water in my case, my measurements did not show muscle loss) I talked to a nutritionist about how and why this happens, hoping to avoid it. She said that digestion requires water, so as soon as you start eating your body will store more water. I asked if drinking extra would help and she said that there is no way to avoid it. I was happy to know that the “real” weight I lost was fat though.

• daniefon- how long did you fast for? were you doing a water fast or juice fast?

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I think the raw diet detoxes the body. I am not sure why someone would want to fast. To me it seems like it would stress your body; and it certainly wouldn’t address the problem of learning to eat healthy for life. (one extreme to me could lead to the other) I have never fasted.

I did lose weight when I was a teenager by putting aside the scale and focusing on what the correct volume of food is.

Now I focus on consuming raw foods to ensure that I am getting proper nutrition.

ClaireT
  • tobyrtobyr Raw Newbie
    edited February 1

Keeping the weight off post-fast can be tricky, but it's about finding a balanced approach. Quick fixes might not offer lasting results. Have you considered more sustainable methods? Fitness Own has a deep dive into Supernatural VR and its weight loss benefits (https://fitnessown.com/a-deep-dive-into-supernatural-vr-can-it-really-help-you-lose-weight), exploring engaging workout alternatives. Combining healthier eating habits and consistent workouts post-fast could be key. Focus on gradual changes for lasting results and consult with a health pro for a safe weight management plan. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    itourist said:

I think the raw diet detoxes the body. I am not sure why someone would want to fast. To me it seems like it would stress your body; and it certainly wouldn’t address the problem of learning to eat healthy for life. (one extreme to me could lead to the other) I have never fasted.

I did lose weight when I was a teenager by putting aside the scale and focusing on what the correct volume of food is.

Now I focus on consuming raw foods to ensure that I am getting proper nutrition.

I like that philosophy. A raw diet really is like a long term cleanse in a lot of ways.