Looking for a good blender?

KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Last summer when I started making smoothies every day, I bought a Hamilton Beach “Stay or Go” blender (only spent $30 on it). I figured it would work – I mean, a blender’s a blender, right? WRONG! It’s terrible! I have to stop and push everything down every few seconds and it can take me 10 minutes to make a smoothie (and that’s one without ice!). Also, I’ve not even had it for a year and the motor already smells burnt when I use it, and the plastic grip that holds the blade to the motor is wearing down terribly. Black stuff everywhere! lol.

Anyway, my budget for a blender is about $60-$70 right now, so if you could give me some buy/don’t buys that’d be really helpful! The few that have caught my eye based on reviews on Target.com are:
  1. Aroma Blender with Glass Jar (ABD530RG)
  2. Sunpentown Blender with Round Jar
  3. Kalorik Blender
  4. Black and Decker 14-speed
  5. and a 2 by Oster: the Classic Blender & the Beehive Blender (although I’ve had a bad experience with Oster so I’m a little uneasy about them – although mine was only $20 so that could have something to do with it)

So if anyone could help me out, I’m obviously looking for a blender that can make smoothies like crazy, crush ice, and blend lots of weird stuff. I also figured this would be a reliable place to get ‘reviews’, because EVERYONE here uses blenders!

Thanks, guys!

Comments

• I had an Oster Beehive before I got my Blendtec. It was a great blender for the money! However, no conventional household blender is designed for 1-2 times per day of liquifying greens and fruit. We were just wearing the thing out!!! It lasted for about 18 months, and then we could tell that the motor was getting pretty weak compared to when it was new. We retired it with some life left, and I still say for most people, this would be a great choice. If you’re a green smoothie addict, it will have a very finite life span.

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I have a Hamilton Beach 12 speed classic chrome blender. Supposed to have 800 watts peak power.

It doesn’t make everything smooth like the vitamix or blendtec. You still have some orange pulp in your smoothies. But it blends up the spinach very well.

It can’t blend any grasses up to a consistency that is good for a smoothie. But what I do is: cut a bunch of oat grass. hold it in my hand over the blender pitcher. cut it into 2 inch pieces with a scissor, and let it fall into the blender. put a pint of water in the blender with it. blend like hell for 1-2 minutes. pour contents in a colander and drain the green water into a bowl. gather the pulp in my hand and squeeze excess juice out. toss the pulp.

Then I use the green water/juice in a smoothie. When blending, it gets kind of scary, the blender making occasional jerking noises and so forth. But it is holding up. And this still works out faster and less tedious for me than trying to juice the grass in my juicer. And, if you don’t need the muscle of a vitamix, I can recommend it. I bought mine new on sale at walmart for 35.00, but they usually sell for around 50.00.

Here it is: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?produ…

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Khaas Ladki, do you have a food processor? If so try using it and save your money until you have enough for a REAL blender that is needed for our raw food smoothies several times a day. I have a Waring Xreme and love it, however after watching Bryan Au’s DVD “RAW in 10” I wish I had his type.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I like my OsterFusion blender. It has a two directional blade, a glass jar and all metal drive. I broke mine recently and the company (Oster) sent a new one, no charge. I bought it online from JC Penny for $79.00 last year. It blends smoothly. I use it everyday.

I threw a Hamilton Beach blender away! They must all suck.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Thanks guys! I went by Target (I don’t do WalMart – sorry) and after some more sleuthing I decided on the OsterFusion blender. I took it home and I’ve already made 3 smoothies with it (taking only about 5 mins a piece or less) – WOW! My green smoothie was so smooth and thick – I didn’t have to water it down like crazy just to get it to blend! I know I’ve only had this blender for a day (ish) but I already like it! I hope I don’t jinx it lol.

Eventually I will probably save money to get a Blendtec or something, but I’m saving for college right now and I’m tightly budgeted! Maybe next year I will be able to afford one, though (or after my Oster breaks down).

Thanks again! Slurps smoothie while typing :)