Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Copyright material

kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I saw a post last nite that bothers me and I’ve seen it a number of times since joining goneraw.com. I would like to put the topic out for discussion. The post I saw last nite made a request of a recipe from a book that I just happened to purchase recently. I paid good, hard earned money for that book after long and careful consideration and someone apparently thinks it’s ok to ask for recipes that are printed in that book rather than purchase the book like I did. I also feel that the author put in alot of long hours and hard work to share their experience. I felt that paying the price of the book was worth it.

There is a reason material is copyrighted and personally I feel it should be respected. Posting a copyrighted recipe and naming the author is not acceptable either unless the original author has given express permission. Posting copyrighted material is not only a violation of the authors rights, it puts the integrity of this site in question. Can you say Napster?

This is just my personal opinion. It is my hope that goneraw.com and it’s members would wish to maintain the highest level of integrity and respect the authors that publish their wealth of knowledge for us to benefit from.

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

We definitely want to keep the integrity of our recipe collection intact and want Gone Raw to be a benefit to the entire raw, vegan community. If in question about whether you should post a recipe, take a moment to read over the submissions portion of our terms of use.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I totally agree. If it comes from a book it generally has copyrights and shouldn’t be plagerized.

• I agree also. If we want this information, we should be buying the books.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Exactly, I agree as well. I always thought if I really like a recipe from a book I have, that it would be great if I shared it, but that would be plagerizing the book’s content. These are all great books and I’m sure people would benefit more from buying the whole book than requesting one recipe.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

The writers of these books put alot of time and effort into them. That is their job, they deserve to be paid. So if you want a recipe from a certain book, go buy it!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I agree with what is being said.

Something that might be useful to keep in mind when responding to someone’s request for a recipe from a published source… the person requesting it might be new to this site and the site’s efforts in this area and has not read the discussions that come up periodically about copyright issues. Not all sites have the same policy.

A suggestion… gently refer the person to one of those (including this) threads (like an FAQ). If the person continues with the same types of requests or postings, contact Kandace or Ray for them to resolve. Simple, effective, and less stress inducing.

It is realy great that people are conscious of integrity issues. In the past, I know I have copied recipes and articles from books or other media without permission. Anyone copy a cd or other media? I have a feeling I am not the only one… I’m not justifying the practice only calling for compassion.

I guess I have been around on this site awhile and have seen a lot of energy going over and over this issue… my 1 1/2 cents on the issue (not even worth a full two cents).

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

We had a little thread under the Gone Raw forum section on recipe integrity too. I feel it is just horrible to post a recipe on here that is obviously copied word for word from someone else and than try to pass it off as your own. I think if you site your source and state that you are not the original creator of the recipe that that is OK. Or you have modified an original recipe to create something different – that is OK too – but you must say that.

It does bother me that someone is so desperate to post up a recipe that they have to copy someone elses word for word and take credit for it (and they even put up the authors pictures! they haven’t even made the recipe). Why is that necessary? To try to impress the members on this site? It is not a “raw iron chef” competition here on this site.

I am sure everyone on here – when they come up with a great recipe – is happy and anxious to post it on here- I know I have but when it is someone elses recipe that you don’t give credit to it is not cool.

In the vein of the books, in my years of doing raw recipes, I have found that certain authors are picky about the copyrighting thing and some honestly don’t care if their recipes are all over the net. I have seen recipes from raw books posted all over the net – some cited the the author and some didn’t.

I sometimes post on Alissa Cohens rawfoodtalk.com and I know they are sort of picky on there about posting Alissa’s recipes and such – they want you to buy the book.

Yes, I agree that we should buy the books – or at least borrow from someone else. I recently got the Cafe Gratitute recipe book and I mostly wanted it for one or two recipes – it sort of irked me that I had to buy the whole book but now I am seeing other recipes that I might want to try so it will be worth it in the end.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Guilty!!! I posted a raw lasagna recipe from Jennifer Cornbleet’s book, “Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people.” I gave her full credit and her book is filled with many more recipes so in a way it was free advertising for her book. A lot of times I’ll buy a book after trying out a recipe I like that someone posted. This is not meant to make light of infringement issues, and I would never pass a recipe off as my own if it wasn’t; just another point of view. Naturally, from now on I’ll make sure I get an author’s permission if there is a recipe I’d like to share.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Bluedolfin- I agree with the compassion approach when dealing with newbies. I realize my initial post sounded hostile and that was not my intent. I’m a Leo and by default I tend to be passionate about things, lol.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I didn’t think you sounded hostile :) Being in book publishing, it is an absolute no-no to publish or copy without permission. But, not everybody knows that, so there’s just a learning curve.

Kandace / Ray, would it be possible to insert an “alert” or “notice” at the top of the recipe submission page, to alert people that author’s permission must be gotten before posting recipes from something published, or even from recipes from individual websites?

Better safe than sorry with everybody being sue-happy these days :( I wouldn’t want goneraw.com to be put into jeopardy either, it is such a great thing for everyone!

The recipes that author’s don’t mind sharing are normally posted on their websites, but I would still email and ask if it’d be ok to share with others.

kevin7197~ Does that mean you are going to be laying on some “passion” not compassion on us moldy oldies? :( I still think you look like Eddie Izzard or a younger Nathan Lane. :)

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

LOL…funny you mention that. When I told a friend about your comment, he agreed that I favor Eddie. Major fan here, gotta love him! As for the passion, it’s my default mode, lol. I’ll need an occasional reminder to be more compassionate!

LOL… I wasn’t sure there was a resemblance without the tongue display. LOL Eddie and Nathan are both pretty outrageous and funny.

... it will take a whole website to remind you. ;)

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Here’s a solution for those looking for FREE copies of published recipes. Refer them to their local Library.

Of course they probably won’t have the book in stock but most Libraries will order anything that is in print. Sometimes for free and sometimes for a small fee. (80p is the most I’ve paid in the UK)

Once the book is in stock you can check it out at your leisure. This accomplishes 2 things. It helps the author with another sale and it fills the Health Food section of the Library with some truth!

Also: Some authors put their view on this type of thing in their recipe book usually because they allow sharing in some way.

Also: Most Raw Food authors (or a spokesperson) are reachable in some way, email etc. why not ask before hand?

• Ah, the voice of reason and compromise. Thanks Chris, what a great idea.