Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

shaving

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has found something all natural to use while shaving your legs. I have been using avalon organics shave cream but I ran out and would like to use something more natural since I know there’s a lot of unnatural stuff in it. I have been using soap but it’s too drying. I have heard people say they use coconut oil I think but I’m not sure how that will work since it’s always pretty solid in my house. If anyone does use coconut oil to shave, how do you use it? I was also thinking of using another oil since i have a few bottles of oils around (almond, jojoba, castor) but I don’t know if that will be very economical after I use them up. Ideas?

Comments

• I use aloe vera gel.

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

I’ve used almond oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil i just put in a cup and float around in the bathtub (or toss the whole glass jar right into the water) and wait until it’s a liquid, then rub it on and shave it off.

• Audrey, I did think of using aloe vera gel before but I never did. It seems like it would be too sticky. I have some in the fridge from several months ago that I bought as a supplement. I doubt it is still good to consume. I was going to throw it out, do you think it would be ok to try on my legs after that long. The other problem is it’s cold from the fridge and that makes it hard to get a smooth shave (goose bumps). Suryadaya, I think I will try using some of the oils I have and If they work, I might stick with that, I was thinking of trying avocado oil or grapeseed oil(seems a little cheaper)when I run out.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

awillow – coconut oil works great for me – extra virgin, I just keep the tub in the shower. Watch out if you have cats – Sarma at We Like It Raw said that her cats follow her around so they can lick her legs.

• Olive oil works, except that it’s more difficult to rinse hair off the razor. Shaving with a gummed up razor can lead to more in-grown hair.

• Awillow, the aloe vera gel I use is from Trader Joe’s—it’s in a bottle and cut with a little alcohol and is easily spreadable.

• I use Kiss My Face Shaving Creme, i got some in lavendar scent. It has no sulfates in it (since I am allergic to it) so it should be pretty natural.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

i almost have no hair on my legs, and get them waxed once in a blue moon. I think the wax is pretty non toxic! I only wax if I have a spicial occasion to go to, so my legs can have that hairless sheen to them. otherwise, I am one of the lucky virtually hairless types, and don’t need to shave or wax regualrly. Na Na!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmmm, I don’t use anything but water to shave my legs… while I’m in the shower.

• i used dr bronners tea tree oil soap. it’s natural, fair trade, non-drying, and suds up a bit. after the shower i smother on the coconut oil before my skin dries out for extra moisture.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I use Epilady, calves and pits. No chemicals at all. Works great. Hurts like hell the first time, then after that it just kind of tickles. I do it about once every two weeks. I have a furry friend who does her arms, thighs, crotch, pits you name it. It works great.

• Debbie5125Debbie5125 Raw Newbie

I have the exact same routine as kayo. And it works really well. The dr. bronners tea tree oil soap followed by coconut oil. Even my four years old twins use the coconut oil after their showers.

• Ditto on the Dr. Bronners, I like the way it smells too! It’s like yum!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Don’t know how long this will last, but I havn’t been shaving for two months now… Seems so strange as I have shaved for the last 52 years!!! It was all I could do today to keep from shaving but I want to see if it will rub off from my clothes or how long it will get… Crazy maybe unless it dissappears… :}

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Ouch, Epilady…I remember that thing. I couldn’t get past even the first part of the first leg! :)

• I shave in the shower or bath with plain water. The first time I did this I couldn’t believe why I’d been using foams, gels, oils, or suds from shampooing for so long – after all it’s only to get the razor gliding smoothly, so if you are shaving in water then you don’t need anything at all. It also keeps the razor un-clogged!

Other than that, I occasionally grit my teeth and get my epilator out but like queenfluff I don’t get very far! OWCH.

• waterbaby12347 I went for about 6 months without shaving (when I swore off dating and sex, it’s easier not to invite someone home when you know that youve got a jungle in your pants) It got pretty bad, but did rub off in spots. Boy was it a trial to get it off again.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

does anyone know a technique for making waxing less painful? I know it’s a shot in the dark but someone might have a secret trick!!

• Zoe: Being very, very drunk! The first time I ever waxed, many moons ago, was a pissed-up girly night in and I couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about… Never done more than one “rip” ever since – can’t hack it.

I’m not sure how much help that’ll be in your current state of pureness!

;-)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

haha! If I drink it comes right back up again, messy!;)

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I usually just shave with water while I’m in the shower, but when the mood strikes I’ll use a little soap. It seems to work pretty good with just water – at least, when your razor is sharp (unlike mine lol).