Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Transitioning and not feeling great

How long does it take for your body to adjust to raw? I find I crave the heavier raw foods right now, but I hear that changes in time. Also, I have been about 90% raw since monday and I feel pretty lethargic and not very energetic. I hope this does not last long. I have been incorporating about 70-80% raw eating for a few weeks, but this is my first week much closer to 100%. Would love to hear other’s experiences. I should say I mostly drink a lot of green smoothies (up to 2 litres) and eat a lot of fruit and salad until dinner when I ‘splurge’ on a prepared raw meal purchased at whole foods.

Comments

• The adjustment period will completely depend on what your food intake and lifestyle was before you transition, along with your psychological makeup. I’ve been at 90-100% raw for about three months, and find that I’m still going through waves of detox and transition, including bouts of low energy. It may or may not last a while longer for you, but the main thing is that if you’re in this for the long haul, however long it takes for you to get through this adjustment is worth it. It sounds like you’re doing great in terms of what you’re eating—so as much as possible I would advise allowing whatever comes up for you to be OK, including any difficulties. When you transition you’re suddenly facing all these things in your body that had been suppressed for years—so know that even the “negative” things you’re experiencing are positive signs of improvement.

• Wise words Audrey – I agree with you. Chicagomama, while you’re transitioning and detoxing, your body is going through an amazing transformation. Everyone’s path is different. I would recommend resting as much as possible – your body is working hard right now. Also, make sure you are drinking lots of water (dehydration will make you tired). Good luck.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Chicagomama – that early tired period can be very psychologically challenging because you think you’re doing so well and you should be bouncing off the walls, but all you want to do is take a nap. It doesn’t help having the non-raws around you wondering why you’re doing this when it looks like it just makes you tired. But it’s good stuff happening, really, and it does pass.

• When I first went all the way I ate my way through a date orchard and forty pounds of almonds. Anything heavy and filling, it seemed like all I did was EAT! Then I figured I would have all this free energy and ended up sleeping on the couch at 4pm from exhaustion. I was pretty healthy eating prior to going raw, but ate meat and cheese and peanut butter like my life depended on it. The water recommendation is great. I mainly had to learn how to listen to what my body needed and not what I wanted.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i’m still adjusting at 5 weeks. the first week i had a lot of digestive adjustment, the second week i had a lot of fatigue. the 3rd and 4th weeks i felt great! then this week i had a tired slup but got out of it. my body is also fighting off some chronic illnesses.

Since i’ve been raw my trend has moved towards lunch being my bigger meal. i wanted to have enough energy to get through the afternoon. so i cut down at dinner. i also added a green smoothie to lunch on days i work and that has really helped my energy. i usually have a green smoothie for lunch, a medium salad, and some crackers with either a dip or avocado.

so perhaps spread out your calories throughout your day more and you will not have so much fatigue.

• If you are craving something heavier you should eat it. I crave almond butter all the time, but then I eat it and feel better. Also Carrot juice is great for energy. I usually do carrot celery juice! good luck, it will get better!

• I have been 100% raw for three weeks, that is until yesterday. I was sick for 2 days prior, like really sick then I cooked up a pound of tofu and instantly felt better( but a bit guilty). I also seem to be having a problem digesting flax both whole and ground, anyone else have this problem? I have fibromyalgia so Im tired all the time anyway so not noticing any particular lethergy.

• Hi Lola,

Flaxseed has a TON of fiber in it, which is probably causing your digestive issues with it. Just eat less of it at a time and be sure to drink lots of water when you eat flax.

Your fibro pain will be gone in no time if you stay raw. I healed from fibro and chronic fatigue (and obesity and depression and anxiety and chronic bladder pain and infections).

Blessings,

Audrey