Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

do you drink the bottled coconut water?

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Is this raw? (the stuff you get at whole foods…)

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

no. i looked it up and it is flash-pasteurized. my yoga studio seems to think this stuff is like the fountain of youth in a bottle and are promoting it like crazy. i want to gently tell them “IT”S PASTEURIZED!!!!!”

plus, it’s cheaper to buy a coconut and you get more water. (though, yeah, it’s not very convenient)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Nope. Even if it wasn’t pasteurized, it would be nowhere near as good as fresh coconut water, because it oxidizes really fast.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

yea, it’s definately not raw. I bought a little carton that was refrigerated at my health store it it tasted bad compared to the fresh, clean, cleansing coconut water from a fresh young coconut. The other stuff tasted like the woody pieces blended with rotten coconut water. Okay, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

awww you burst my bubble! i have heard that young coconuts from thailand are sprayed with stuff so i am not sure which is worse. dang, because i liked the drink. :-(

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

The fresh coconut water sure does taste better than the pastuerized water and the enzymes are intact. I would assume teh minerals are still intact and in that respect it is still an excellent drink for electrolyte balance (much better than those alleged health drinks). I think fresh coconut water is the best beverage I have ever enjoyed; however, unless it is organic, same as with prepared coconut juice, there is no way of knowing if it has formaldehyde in it. It is just insane the evil things that are put into our food.

• what is the best source for organic young coco’s? Whole foods?

• I’ve been looking for young coconuts that taste like fresh ones (like when I was in my county) but not luck so far :( And the stuff that they sell in those little boxes is not even close to real thing.

• chicagomama try asking a smaller local health food store to special order you a case of organic young Thai coconuts before go to WholeFoods. Support your local community..

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Is the chemical dipping really true???? Because I eat 1-2 young coconuts every morning!!!!!!!! And I absolutely love it!! Should I be worried?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

matt amsden (of rawvolution) sent in a young coconut (“best” variety) to the lab and it came back NEGATIVE for formaldehyde. i read an article that said this was urban legend (it was posted on one of these forums)

if someone can show me evidence that the formaldehyde theory is TRUE than i will gladly bow my head in humility & cease buying them. just because it sounds awful, doesn’t make it true. ;)

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I will only drink the fresh stuff. i crack the Thai coconut open and drink it immediately. i have read it tends to oxidise very quickly when it hits the air.

I read about someone doing a lab test on young coconuts and no trace of formaldahyde was found!! i think this maybe one of those urban legends…hopefully?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Samilicious – I eat a lot of coconuts too, and am not worried. Even if the chemicals were there, I don’t think they could penetrate the shell.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

here, young coconuts are 2.99! and with very little water. i crave the stuff, so i drink the o.n.e. brand from brazil, its in a carton, it is flash heated, but i feel i’m better drinking that than not drinking the real thing because of availablity.

there is nothing added to this product, thats why i like it. there are tons of brands that add cane sugar.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

stylistchick – have you tried going to a Chinese grocery store? I get them from one and they are 1.29 each. Stuff is usually cheaper at Asian markets.