Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

need inspiration or advice...

Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to raw, well about 9 months I have been experimenting. I find it difficult lately to stick to my raw foods. I don’t want to eat processed crap or fake health food but it almost feels like an addiction the way it pulls me in. I am alone in this or fundamentally flawed haha? I was hoping that others might be able to share some inspiration or just common sense to help. I prefer to eat raw and I know how great I feel when I eat do, but for some reason I keep “slipping”. I also don’t think this is good for my body… anyone? advice? ideas?

thanks, I am very grateful that this community is here cuz my friends all think I am nuts (except of course when I am dedicated and my skin and hair glow and the water retention from refined wheat and sugar disappears, then they are interested, lol)

:)

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Interesting website you have… “story for steve”!

Yes, I agree… I too feel addicted to my cooked food when I try going 90% raw for longer than 2 months! Victoria Boutenko has a book 12 Steps to Raw Foods I particularly like the sub-title: How to end your addiction to cooked foods It’s a very good read… but I haven’t tried going 90% raw since. We’ll be starting it up again in a few weeks.

Try making yourself dehydrated foods… to snack on. One’s that you enjoy! And always have more than enough… I prefer to make gourmet type foods with rich flavors… that helps me… like I made raw hot dogs which is a great transitional meal that will help me.

If you can’t make all the food yourself… try having some delivered. Are there any raw restaurants in your area?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey,

personally it took me 6 months to transition! one day i woke up and i was like “let’s do this.” i went 100%. for me, it really helped that i had gone 100% for 2 months BEFORE the “transition” so i knew what it felt like. then i took my time making the emotional adjustment, and then i just knew i was ready to do it.

it’s also important to realized that these “slips” might just be your natural inclination to detox slowly. when you add cooked food into the mix it gives your body a little obstacle so it gets a rest from “clean up duty.” sometimes you need an emotional rest from “clean up” as well.

the kinder you are to yourself, and the more patient, (i think anyway), the more likely you are to ease into 100% raw. if you are strict with yourself from the start, are over-efforting, than you will start to equate raw with deprivation instead of pleasure and it will feel like a punishment… and you’ll be more likely to run to the nearest chinese restaurant screaming “CHOW MEIN!” =)

for me, food should pass this simple test: (before) i want to eat it. (during) i am enjoying eating it. (after) i feel really good about what i just ate.

transitioning is about meeting 2 of those criteria, and slowly, over time you won’t want to settle for anything less than all 3.

• hey pianissima, that is a great test! i will keep that in mind as i journey through this path to increasing more raw foods in my diet. excellent advice!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Great advice pianissima!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I gave up on gong 100% strict raw. Doing so made me feel deprived and I had cravings, plus I eat meat occassionally. I ate a macrobiotic diet for a few years before raw so I was pretty much over the sugar and processed food thing. My experience was that after eating whole foods for awhile the taste of processed food is revolting.

Now that I don’t worry about eating 100%. I don’t have negative feelings or cravings. Today I went to the macro deli and bought a piece of macro peach pie (which is sweetned with maple sugar). I didn’t have to buy it and didn’t crave it but since I ate it I may not have a desire for anything like that for 2 – 4 weeks. Sunday I had a whole wheat free-range natural chicken salad sandwich made with vegannaise. Initially, I would eat one cooked item daily. Today, I probably eat 2 – 4 pieces of cooked food a week, but it always unprocessed whole food. I figure I am at least 90%+ by volume on a “bad” week and I don’t have any negative feeling/cravings as a result. When you know you can have somjething you don’t crave it or feel deprived. I am not concerned if I go 100% raw now as I feel I have great benefits from eating this way. This is what works for me.

• Thank you everyone for your posts! All of these have something that I can take away something from. Pianissima, I really like your test that you use, I think I will try that in trying times.

Germin8 – the “story for steve” is well a long story, hahaha. He is a colleague that is encouraging me to write and blog and finish learning to build my website. So as a gesture I began writing him a short story, and chose that topic as it is one of many that we as a group of techie groups love to debate. :) there is only one raw food place in vancouver at the moment Gorilla Foods, perhaps I should inquire about getting some pre-made stuff. His food is delicious!!!!

Thanks again everyone, I am definitely not going to give up, I love raw foods too much and am really enjoying learning new recipes.

~D